Combines Speeding Up a 820 Grain Head

posum

We were able to speed up the sickle by changing the pulley on the driveshaft to the wobblebox. Found the pulley in the salvage yard off an older series III header. Also we were running SCH pro drive box. This box can stand a few more rpm than the standard wobblebox.It helped in drought beans at high ground speeds(6 mph). If you are feeding good at 3 mph the standard box should be plenty fast. As far as the air reel goes it will feed better but will increase the load on the feeder house clutch. We got two before we figured that one out. I would think the 40 would handle a 20 ft. at 3 mph ok unless the beans were green stemed real bad.

kernal

Check the sheave size that drives the wobble box.The 700 rigid header uses a larger sheave and still uses the same wobble box.Use a smaller idler so you can use the same belt.The wobblebox will withstand 540 rpm.Slow the varispeed back down or centrifugal force will blow your aireel fan.lost a fan that way.

kernal

Check the sheave size that drives the wobble box.The 700 rigid header uses a larger sheave and still uses the same wobble box.Use a smaller idler so you can use the same belt.The wobblebox will withstand 540 rpm.Slow the varispeed back down or centrifugal force will blow your aireel fan.lost a fan that way.

Rolf

Also think about installing a sizable_heavy plate or machined pulley on wobble box! This has the effect of acting like a big old steam engine fly wheel to help cutting and smoothness of wobble box and all of those left hand end components. look at the largest size and widest withe you can get in beside the wobble box. Get a machine shop to make a pulley up or to attach it to existing pulley, and I think you be amazed how much better of a cutting job it will improve. Also remember that you cant increase sickle speed to much, as it will become a wall if its running to fast. Rolf

NDDan

There are five different size pulleys available today for back shaft. About this time last year I noted them all hear or other site with the RPMs. The OD diameter of back pulley is what you go by. like kernal said that was very dangerous to speed up the Crary fan. You might want to check out a demention on front varible pulley to be sure sliding hub is not overly loose. I measure how far apart the sheaves are at front of pulley and at rear with belt installed. Measure this at OD of pulley. I usually find 1_8" closer at rear and that is fine. My best guess is you got you sickle kind of out of control fast which got your belt to whipping until it flipped. I suppose one of the best things you could do period is add the weight per Rolf. I have a 7200 which has SCH sickle drive box with larger diameter weight and it still had vibration you could feel in cab. I stepped it down to next smaller pulley to smooth it out but would of liked to double the weight of flywheel.