Starting out farming

Tshebel

I am planning on start row crop farming within the next year or two in Tennessee. I am currently 47 and grew up on a farm in NW Indiana. I don't know one person in TN and still looking for land. I plan on starting with either beans or corn on all the acres and then rotating the next year (maybe add wheat during the winter). Right now I am budgeting the cost and was wondering about what equipment I need to buy to start off. Also, which equipment is it worth to buy newer and which to buy older. Any advice since I don't have tons of money????

Thanks

leon

leon

Golden Chicken
What is the size of your land? If the soil's condition is excellent, you will have more row crop options. You need a diesel 4*4 tractor, rolling cultivator, under-cutter, and other equipment, depending on the size of the land.

RanchHouse

RanchHouse

Farm Hand
You have adopted the correct strategy! Having the necessary tools and infrastructure will give you a headstart. If you want to be able to apply compost, prioritize having a front loader and compost spreader.

leon

leon

Golden Chicken
It is good that you have narrowed it down to specific crops. Have you come across any agricultural extension offices around your locality? They may offer more information and point out what else you need to do. What are the licensing requirements?