Summer favorites

Ritar

Ritar

Farm Hand
I love cooking (not so much baking). My family loves sweets and have been asking me to make new things. What is your favorite summer treat? Care to share a recipe.

Katie

Katie

Farm Hand
What is your favorite summer treat? Care to share a recipe.
Pickles, pickles, and more pickles. I start fermenting my cucumbers as soon as they come in. The very basic recipe is to make the brine with salt, vinegar, and water. I like to spice it up with extra seasonings though. Sometimes I add garlic and lime, other times I add peppercorn, dill, and mustard seeds to the brine. There's a lot you can do with pickles.

Gordyg

Gordyg

Farm Hand
Yum to pickles! We make them too. We make dill and sweet. @Katie do you also pickle other vegetables? We pickle peppers and onions and also zucchini and summer squash.

Petal to the Metal

Petal to the Metal

Golden Chicken
Homemade ice cream is my favorite treat when it gets hot. I've tried to make popsicles, but they never come out right. They're more like a brick of flavored ice than anything else. I've never found a great recipe for popsicles.

Ritar

Ritar

Farm Hand
My family loves pickles but they want something sweet and more of a dessert. I made a delicious cherry pie over the last weekend. I will be making a fruit cobbler this weekend.

Stocky

Stocky

Farm Hand
I love eating apple pie for a dessert, especially when it's mixed with cinnamon powder. I'm experimenting with the flavor that sometimes, I'd have cheese on the side if not, peanut butter.