Taking A Link Out Of A Chain

Gossett

What are your thoughts on taking a link out of a chain instead of getting new floor chains for a manure spreader? How difficult of a job is it? What tools are required? It would save me a lot of money if it can be done.

Tommy63

Tommy63

Farm Hand
You'll need a roller chain breaker (tool to open the chain and remove link(s) and a connecting link to put it back together. You'll have to determine the size of your chain. Go to Surpluscenter.com they have the tools items 14-1037 $15.00 or 14-1037-2 $27.95 (larger chains) and the connecting links.

jcman

Farm Hand
My manure spreader doesn't have roller links, just a loop with an opening. I loosen the chain and remove it from the spreader, set the link next to the one I want to remove edgewise on a metal block, turn the one I want to remove so the straight piece is in the opening and tap it sidways out with a hammer, do the same thing on the other end of the removing link then tap the two ends together. Since I have two chains I'm careful to remove the same link from both sides so the bars that move the manure are parallel to the end of the spreader. If your spreader has roller chains use the advice in the above answer.