Thinking about adding pigs

pseag

pseag

Farm Hand
We raise cattle and horses but we are thinking of adding pigs to our farm. What do I need to know about this? Are they similar or do I need to have a complete different setup?

TammiT

TammiT

Farm Hand
I think you could do this with no problem if you have the room. Pigs are easy to raise. I think they are easier than cows. We have milk cows so there is just more work with them. Do you have the extra land?

BarkerB

BarkerB

Farm Hand
They say the general rule of thumb is 25 pigs to an acre of land. How much land do you have?
Pigs eat many things, including produce, grass and feed. I don't think it's hard to raise them.

RichZ

Chocolate Milk Cow
The one thing to be aware of when raising pigs is that they can force their way out of many enclosures. Pigs are sort of like living bulldozers. They are very powerful, and can force open gates if they are not secured very well. They are also great diggers and can dig under fences. Ask me how I know this.

The Rutherford Family

Farm Hand
Pasture-raised heritage pork is succulent and delicious, but pigs are highly intelligent and I would find it difficult to slaughter a pig that if I was the one raising it.

Urban Homestead

Urban Homestead

Bean Stalker
I've looked into it, but I don't have the space since we already have chickens and goats. I think they're a bit tougher on the land than horses and cows, but I could be wrong. You can get quite a bit of meat off of one pig, and they can eat a lot of kitchen scraps, so they don't seem expensive to raise.

walkerw4000

There is great opportunity in Magalitsa pigs. High quality meat and sought after in high end restaurants. I have two red males for sale 1200.00 each. We are in western NC.

BarkerB

BarkerB

Farm Hand
Did you end up deciding on adding pigs? My neighbor just did and so far so good. He told me it was a great decision. He did this about a month ago. I hope if you did decide to that it's working out.

pseag

pseag

Farm Hand
We decided to wait for a bit. We might add some in early fall. We figured we would try to get through our busier time first. We have a couple of empty pens but we figured we should wait.

Shelbii

Shelbii

Farm Hand
Interesting decision to wait until the fall. I would think you would add animals in the spring due to weather. It sounds like you thought about it before you made the decision.