Thistle or no?

vincenzosassone

Farm Hand
I want to attract more yellow finches this spring and summer. I've never used thistle before (on it's own). The birdseed we buy has a bit in the mixture. Do you think I should buy a bag of thistle and add to the other birdseed? How do I attract more finches?
Many times doesn't matter how you attract them, but where you do so. I remember that when I went in London, expecially in the parks, we could give them potato chips without problems and they went to us. Now I'm in my countryside and this doesn't happen...
Now I don't know whether or not we are talking about the same bird, I'm not such an expert but it looked yellow if I'm not mistaken. I don't even know whether this can help you to tell the truth
I just learned that goldfinches aren't gold (yellow) in the winter
Incredible!

Jonny B Goode

Jonny B Goode

Farm Hand
I don't know where you live, but usually the main finches you will see are goldfinches, which are bright yellow and purple finches and house finches which are similar looking. Plus cardinals are actually finches.
You know, I've always wondered about that. It's the shape that got me wondering if they're in the same family. If you're a bird watcher/lover then the cost of thistle would be worth it.