Ticks on cattle

pseag

pseag

Farm Hand
Ticks in my area were so bad last year, and the year before. I didn't notice them on my cattle but another farmer in my town did. I hear they are going to be bad again this year. How do you protect your cattle from getting ticks? If you ever had this problem, how did you get rid of them?

RichZ

Chocolate Milk Cow
I keep a flock of guinea fowl on my property. They love to eat ticks and do a good job of keeping their numbers down.

Almost Eden

Almost Eden

Bean Stalker
Supposedly you'll have less of a problem if you cut back the brush around your property and keep your pasture cut short. I've tried that though, and I didn't think it helped much. It still might work for you though.

RanchHouse

RanchHouse

Farm Hand
I keep a flock of guinea fowl on my property. They love to eat ticks and do a good job of keeping their numbers down.
Our chicken flock is our best line of defense! They have also helped us control other garden and backyard pests. Some people opt to spray, but this can harmful to other beneficial insects. Are there other organic methods that we can adopt?

RichZ

Chocolate Milk Cow
I should have said that chickens are almost as good as guinea fowl in controlling ticks. Also keeping grass and weeds as low as possible helps reduce ticks.