Tips for making popsicles

Urban Homestead

Bean Stalker
Am I the only one who can't make a decent popsicle? I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but the syrup/flavoring tends to separate from the water, so that the center is flavored and the sides are just a block of ice. Any tips?

Katie

Farm Hand
I have more luck when I mix in bits of fruit. So I dump some strawberries, peaches, blueberries, or bananas in the blender, give it a few pulses, then add it to my popsicle mix. I wouldn't say that the texture is as good as the commercial brands, but what I make is healthier.

Urban Homestead

Bean Stalker
I'll try that Katie; thanks for the tip. I have lots of fruit here already so it'll be easy to toss some in. I thought about adding gelatin to see if it helps. What do you think?

Petal to the Metal

Golden Chicken
You probably aren't using enough sugar. It takes a ton of sugar to get a texture that's similar to the kind you buy in the store. I usually rotate my popsicles once they're half frozen just to make sure there's even distribution. Even then it's mostly all about luck. I don't think they're worth making really. Homemade ice cream turns out much better than homemade popsicles. If you find a solution that works great, please come back and share it.