Tips for making popsicles

Urban Homestead

Urban Homestead

Bean Stalker
Am I the only one who can't make a decent popsicle? I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but the syrup/flavoring tends to separate from the water, so that the center is flavored and the sides are just a block of ice. Any tips?

Katie

Katie

Farm Hand
I have more luck when I mix in bits of fruit. So I dump some strawberries, peaches, blueberries, or bananas in the blender, give it a few pulses, then add it to my popsicle mix. I wouldn't say that the texture is as good as the commercial brands, but what I make is healthier.

Urban Homestead

Urban Homestead

Bean Stalker
I'll try that Katie; thanks for the tip. I have lots of fruit here already so it'll be easy to toss some in. I thought about adding gelatin to see if it helps. What do you think?

Petal to the Metal

Petal to the Metal

Golden Chicken
You probably aren't using enough sugar. It takes a ton of sugar to get a texture that's similar to the kind you buy in the store. I usually rotate my popsicles once they're half frozen just to make sure there's even distribution. Even then it's mostly all about luck. I don't think they're worth making really. Homemade ice cream turns out much better than homemade popsicles. If you find a solution that works great, please come back and share it.