To hill or not

Mayfield

Mayfield

Farm Hand
I've always been told to plant our seed potatoes on a hill (mound). Does everyone do this? Why is it that we do? I always have luck with lots of potatoes but I wondered why the hill.

MartyR

Farm Hand
It depends on the vegetable for me. I have done things a little differently this year. In order to preserve water, I planted some of my thirstiest fruits and vegetables in what I call the valley. I hope it doesn't backfire on me. I still mounded some vegetables.

Petal to the Metal

Petal to the Metal

Golden Chicken
I haven't grown potatoes in a long time, but I believe mounding is meant to protect the tubers from frost and to deter weeds and animal pests.

ARC55

ARC55

Farm Hand
I grew up on a large vegetable farm. There are many reasons to hill up potato tubers, but the most important one is that you don't want the tubers to come into contact with direct sunlight. It will turn them green and increase the potatoes' solanine levels.

@MartyR, I wish you luck and I hope you'll let us know how that works out for you. I'm curious about your results and might try it in the future.

Charli

Farm Hand
@MartyR that is interesting. I can't wait to hear how these do. I have thought about trying the valley planting but haven't tried it yet.

I really don't know why we mound the potatoes but we do.

Mayfield

Mayfield

Farm Hand
Thanks everyone! I know we have been doing this since I was a child. I just never knew why. Very interesting! Sometimes you just like to know the "why" behind what you're doing.