Treating bumblefoot in ducks

Ben

Ben

Farm Hand
I noticed that one of my new ducks has the beginnings of bumblefoot. I'm embarrassed this has happened since bumblefoot is often the result of poor hygiene practices. I'd like to think that I'm keeping things clean, but I could've done better. I've had them quarantined with just a small kiddie pool for wading. I thought it would be okay because it's temporary, just to be sure they aren't bringing any diseases in. I forgot how messy they are, and the pool is made out of hard plastic which probably doesn't help. How do I help the poor duck? It doesn't look too bad right now, but I know it will if I don't intervene quickly.

Birdie

Golden Chicken
Eh, it happens. It doesn't necessarily mean that you've done anything wrong, especially since only one duck has it. The point is that you caught it quickly and you're responding to the duck's needs. You're supposed to keep fowl quarantined for four weeks and I personally wouldn't risk it. Besides that you'll also need to introduce them to the others slowly and watch for aggressiveness and other problems, but you probably know all that.

On with fixing the bumblefoot - You need a large pan, like those they give you at the hospital. Fill it with warm water, add some Epsom salt and iodine and soak the feet for around 30 minutes or so. It's easy to just plop the duck in it, but you'll have to stay and hold it for the duration. Then dry its feet and attach a small cotton ball with some Neosporin onto the wound. Wrap it up with gauze, then wrap it with waterproof medical tape, then go over it again with a waterproof medical wrap. That's important because you need to keep it dry! Get rid of the pool. Ducks love water and I wouldn't personally raise any without access to a pool or body of water, but they can live without it and will definitely manage while they're being quarantined. It's not much longer. Try to get rid of moisture in the areas that they're walking and living in.

Ben

Ben

Farm Hand
It's already looking much better and none of the other ducks have had any problems which is good. I've been pleasantly surprised at how easy it is to treat. This is the most laid-back duck I've ever seen. Thank you for the help, Birdie!

Birdie

Golden Chicken
I'm glad to hear that it's working out, Ben. Hopefully your new ducks can be integrated soon where they'll get to enjoy swimming again. I've had some fun ducks over the years, but I don't think I've had any that were truly laid-back. I've had quite a few pranksters though. Ducks are fun birds.