Type of Tractor, small 10 acre hobby farm

j_kraut

j_kraut

Buying 10 acres, and looking to initially move dirt, then have ability to plow the ground, and prepare to plant some corn or other crops. So wondering if i would need multiple like bobcat and sub-compact tractor or compact tractor.

Urban Homestead

Urban Homestead

Bean Stalker
You probably wouldn't want to buy multiple machines because that would be unnecessarily expensive if they won't get much use, would add to your maintenance schedule, and would take up valuable storage space. Instead, I'd buy a compact tractor and pick up some attachments that will get the job done.

RichZ

Chocolate Milk Cow
I agree with Urban Homestead, one tractor is probably all that you need. A sub-compact tractor is probably too small for what you're thinking of, but a good compact tractor would probably serve you well.

jjp8182

Farm Hand
Depends on how long to you to take to do the tasks you've identified. However, I'd recommend a CUT (at minimum) that has sufficient weight to maintain traction while pulling implements through the ground.

....the size/weight of the implements will drive how quickly you can complete the tasks, and the size of the implements (along with the terrain, soil type/moisture level) will drive the size of the tractor.

Another thing to consider Is the dirt you're moving: will it be in piles (and just need to be scooped up)? or will you be digging it out of the ground? If digging and in large amounts, it may be worth considering renting equipment to do that one task. It's not that tractor loaders can't dig, but they aren't the most efficient at it compared to equipment designed for digging....and if you're needing to dig out dozens/hundreds of yards of soil with a loader for a single project it may be worth renting equipment for that (depending on how quickly you want to get done).

Just my $0.02 though .....

Henderson

Henderson

Golden Chicken
Another thing to consider Is the dirt you're moving: will it be in piles (and just need to be scooped up)? or will you be digging it out of the ground? If digging and in large amounts, it may be worth considering renting equipment to do that one task. It's not that tractor loaders can't dig, but they aren't the most efficient at it compared to equipment designed for digging....and if you're needing to dig out dozens/hundreds of yards of soil with a loader for a single project it may be worth renting equipment for that (depending on how quickly you want to get done).
I'll second this one, especially if you're digging through heavy soil with large rocks. A standard bulldozer will make the job easier, and they're pretty affordable to rent. Is this new land that you're clearing, @j_kraut?

GrowPro

GrowPro

Farm Hand
@j_kraut, I hope you'll let us know what you decided to go with and whether it's working out for you. Tractors are the backbone of farming, and there are so many to choose from that it's hard to settle on one.