Updating Your Computer System

William Van

Farm Hand
I'm doing maintenance on my laptop today so I have another related question. How often do you update your physical computer? 2 years? 5 years? I tend to upgrade when nothing I do, aside for a hard boot, can speed it back up again. Am I being frugal or foolish?

Petal to the Metal

Farm Hand
I don't like change and it can take ages to feel comfortable with a new system, so I tend to keep mine for a long time. I keep my software and operating system up to date and I use security software for the business. I'd say I replace the whole thing every eight to ten years. I'd say you're just being frugal, William Van. Why replace it if it isn't broken or obsolete?

Last edited:

jack

Farm Hand
By upgrading, do you mean replacing it? I would say I do this every five years. There's no straight answer to this because it varies, depending on the type and specs of a laptop. If you regularly service it, it should give you service for a long time, without a need to replace.

Charli1

Farm Hand
I replace my computer every 3 years. I don't think you're wrong by doing the same. They just don't make things to last long anymore! We use our computer for our home business. I can't afford to let it go down.

Daddio7

Whenever it is not fast enough or quits working. About every eight to ten years. Today's computers are fast enough to never need upgrading. Just keep good backups and buy a new one when the hard drive gives out.

FarmHand

Golden Chicken
Top Poster Of Month
I've gotten a good 5 years out of my current machine. It's a mac. They run like toyotas. Just plug them in and they work.

Qapla

Farm Hand
When my Windows 3.1 quits working I will think about another computer

Actually, I only replace mine if it quits ...