Vertical Farming

Locksmith

Locksmith

Farm Hand
Do you think vertical farming is a fad? Or is this a necessity due to the ever expanding suburbs into farmlands?

i would like to believe it is the former, but I just don't know.

leon

leon

Golden Chicken
It has recently emerged as an alternative source of controlled crop growth. In 2020, many people weren't comfortable visiting grocery stores after CDC classified them as places of high contamination. Either way, vertical farming could provide food security in the future.

MartyR

Farm Hand
Some of the vertical designs are terribly inefficient. It's charming to think you can grow things in soda bottles and shipping pallets and stack them to the sky to save space, but it's not enough dirt to sustain the plant and you wind up having to water them twice a day during the summer. It wastes water and your time.

Emergency Cake

Emergency Cake

Farm Hand
I've always seen it as more of a Pinterest fad than a serious route to farming. Have you tried it, @Locksmith? You've got me curious as to how it works. I grow tomatoes vertically, but that's just for our personal use and for my bakery. I don't think I could turn a profit if I farmed tomatoes as a crop and grew them vertically. Maybe it would work though.

greg

greg

Farm Hand
It is slowly gaining popularity, and if done correctly, vertical farming could be the next big thing. With this option, a farmer can get consistent crop production throughout the year. Also, by adopting the hydroponic growing process, there is reduced usage of water.