Wattle fencing

MartyR

Farm Hand
Have you ever tried to make a wattle fence? My wife likes the way they look and they seem easy enough to make, but I question whether it would actually hold anything in. Does it really work for small animals like chickens and rabbits?

Henderson

Henderson

Golden Chicken
Yeah, it's a fun project for the little ones, so we've built plenty of them over the years. They take time to put together. It's definitely not a quick project. We fenced in vegetables that we wanted to protect from rabbits, chickens, raccoons, and other small critters. I can't say that I've ever used one for livestock, but maybe it could work.

MartyR

Farm Hand
We fenced in vegetables that we wanted to protect from rabbits, chickens, raccoons, and other small critters.
Yeah, that makes sense. It looks like it will make a decent trellis for climbing vegetables and such. If I build it high enough, it might even keep deer out.

The Big Cowhuna

The Big Cowhuna

Golden Chicken
I have used them like I would a chicken tractor. If you build it up high enough, it will keep the chickens in. I haven't left the chickens overnight though. I suspect that a wattle fence would do a decent job of holding baby animals as well. Maybe not goats, but it could hold lambs.

Shelbii

Shelbii

Farm Hand
We have built some of these too. We put them around our vegetable garden. I bet they would keep chickens in but would they keep predators out? They are fun to make though.