What causes crop failure?

jack

jack

Farm Hand
I stumbled upon an article that advanced the idea that annual warming wouldn't increase crop failure rates; decreases in interannual variation possibly could. Apart from soils and climate, what other factors contribute to crop failure, and what can reverse this worrying trend?

Smarty Plants

Smarty Plants

Farm Hand
I haven't noticed a worrying trend in crop failure, but I think annual warming rates certainly affect the outcome and I am surprised by the article's conclusion. All sorts of diseases, pests, and parasites are affected by our warming rates. The soil needs to freeze for a prolonged period of time to kill off many things. When that doesn't happen, surely it affects the soil and our crops.

Sam Carter

Sam Carter

Farm Hand
The soil and crops that grow from it are simpatico for the most part. Changes in weather will effect their relationship with each other, but as weather patterns change the earth acclimates to it. That's what it does.

baloyi

baloyi

Farm Hand
Annual warming could lead to crop failure, but not to a great extent. How about obsolete farming practices and changing weather patterns. Overall, I believe that human activity also plays a role.

Locksmith

Locksmith

Farm Hand
Unintentionally bad farming practices for the most part. Human error. Weather plays a role, but not nearly as much as people would lead you to believe.

baloyi

baloyi

Farm Hand
I haven't noticed a worrying trend in crop failure, but I think annual warming rates certainly affect the outcome and I am surprised by the article's conclusion. All sorts of diseases, pests, and parasites are affected by our warming rates. The soil needs to freeze for a prolonged period of time to kill off many things. When that doesn't happen, surely it affects the soil and our crops.
I concur that we haven't gotten to the point where there is widespread crop failure. There are varying climatic conditions that require different farming practices. Farmers also have to adapt to climatic changes and adopt corrective practices where necessary.