What comes first?

ARC55

ARC55

Farm Hand
The chicken or the egg? Nah. I want to know whether you started with crops, with livestock, or with both at the same time, when you first started farming?

The Big Cowhuna

The Big Cowhuna

Golden Chicken
Livestock was last for me. I had structures, fences, pasture, water sources, and plenty of things planted before the cattle came. I got the cattle last actually. The chickens and goats came before the cattle. I thought I might need goat's milk if things went sideways with a calf. If you start with livestock, and you have nothing for them to forage and no natural source of water, then you're going to be spending loads of money on feed and water.

BIGRED

BIGRED

Golden Chicken
When I took over the farm there was already barns, a water source and fences. I planted my crops first though. I made sure the fields were set for grazing. I then bought cattle. I'm learning about other animals now, soon will invest in more.

RichZ

Chocolate Milk Cow
I'm with Cowhuna. I had one barn, but needed to expand it and build another. Then I had to fence my pastures. I started developing my herds of dairy goats and fiber sheep. Then I had to build a milk house. It took years and LOTS of money. Luckily, farming was not my main source of income. I'm impressed with anyone who makes a living as a full time farmer.