What Size Tractor Do I Need For 20 Acres

Kennith

What size tractor do I need for 20 acres? I'm new to this and primarily want to plant corn and beans. What sort of horsepower am I going to need?

Scatterlandsfarms

Scatterlandsfarms

Farm Hand
Depends on what your going to do with it .. I have owned several tractors and for just around the house I would never buy less than a 30 hp with a loader .

Wildlife

Wildlife

Bean Stalker
"Depends on what your going to do with it "
Great question.
Do you plan running pto for attachment if so horse power rating drops also hydro. transmission....30hp good start.

Toymaker

Farm Hand
If your running a planter and cultivating field, would suggest starting at 75-100 HP. Its all dependent on what you are doing.

For comparison:

A 30 horse tractor is fine for example running a brush hog over 20 acres. Bigger attachments need more HP.

Hay over 20 acres - 50 minimum, 75 suggested.

Property maintnance - clearing a trail, utility use 30 is fine

Qapla

Qapla

Farm Hand
My FIL uses a 45HP to farm 15 acres planted with vegetables

jjp8182

Farm Hand
farming full 20 acres? It might be easier to figure out how fast you want/need to get the work, and let the implements needed to make that happen drive the size of the tractor.

When looking at tractors It's easier to figure out what to buy after identifying what needs to be done, how fast it needs to be done, what implements will be needed and if there are any minimum/maximum performance or size limits that need to be considered. .....and it's better to plan ahead, because swapping out implements for a larger/smaller tractor can become far more expensive than changing tractors.