What to plant as filler?

Almost Eden

Almost Eden

Bean Stalker
Our spacing is way off this year, and I'd like to fill in the big gaps with another edible because otherwise I'm just wasting compost, water, and other resources. Which edibles grow fairly low to the ground and mature quickly? Radishes are the only option I can think of.

Petal to the Metal

Petal to the Metal

Golden Chicken
Carrots fit your description. So do many crops from the onion family. What are you planting between exactly? That will matter because you don't want to overshadow any of your other plants and some veggies coexist better than others.

Almost Eden

Almost Eden

Bean Stalker
What are you planting between exactly?
Tomatoes, okra, and green peppers. The spaces are huge and need covered by something soon. I thought about doing marigolds since they protect against nematodes and I know that they're edible, but I can't say that I've ever eaten them. I'd really rather grow something that's more traditional to see on the dinner table.

Henderson

Henderson

Golden Chicken
You could plant some spinach. It matures within 30 days. The tomatoes and peppers might offer it some protection from the summer heat too. Spinach tends to bolt if it gets too hot.

Almost Eden

Almost Eden

Bean Stalker
Thanks for the ideas, @Petal to the Metal and @Henderson! I planted some radishes, spinach, carrots, and chives to fill in the gaps. This might actually end up working better than the original layout.