When choosing a fertilizer

Ecohugger

Ecohugger

Farm Hand
I've thought that deciding on what kind of fertilizer to use would be simple, but there are many factors to consider. You can choose to buy a complete or incomplete fertilizer depending on the content of the soil. Then you'll also have to think if you'll need a general or a special fertilizer. Having a budget assigned to it seems to make things easier since it limits your choice. Do you have a hard time choosing a fertilizer?

RichZ

Chocolate Milk Cow
I mostly use manure from my livestock. If I do buy fertilizer, I only use organic fertilizer.

MartyR

Farm Hand
I use composted manure from my animals and that seems to be enough for us. I try to rotate my fields so that there's a nitrogen-fixing crop every few years which seems to help as well.

Almost Eden

Almost Eden

Bean Stalker
Do you have a hard time choosing a fertilizer?
I did when I first started growing plants. There are so many choices out there that it's easy to get overwhelmed. I mostly grow flowers and ornamental plants commercially. I use the fertilizer that suits the plant's growing conditions and will produce what I desire. If I'm after blooms, then I'd use something with slightly more phosphorus than nitrogen or potassium in the mix. Roses, cacti, violets, and orchids typically have their own specialized blend of fertilizer. Just don't overdo it. Too much fertilizer will burn the plant's roots.