Where are my hens?

Smarty Plants

Smarty Plants

Farm Hand
I've had an interesting day so far. My neighbor texted me about buying some of my eggs for her dog's food that she makes from scratch. I told her she could have as many as she wanted and to help herself if she needed them now because we weren't at home. She has a key to my house in case of emergency. I thought she would use the key, go into my fridge, and collect the eggs she needed. Guys, she tried to get them from the hen house! This neighbor has no experience with chickens. They got out. She kept chasing them to try to catch them. She is obviously upset and keeps apologizing because she knows I love my hens. It was an honest mistake and partly my fault for not locking their run. I went by at lunch, and there are feathers everywhere and not a hen in sight. Where do you think they are? She chased them a long time and their wings aren't clipped, so they got over the fence. Do you think they'll come back on their own this afternoon to eat? I pray none of the neighbors' dogs or cats get them.

Nora

Nora

Farm Hand
They're probably just hiding and will be back before you know it. That's bizarre that she thought you meant for her to fetch them from the coop. If I thought "help yourself" meant that, I'd text back, "I will wait until your home." Jeez.

RichZ

Chocolate Milk Cow
Oh man, that's terrible!!! Hopefully they'll come back as it starts getting dark. How many hens do you have? Can you ask your neighbors to see of they're on their property?

Smarty Plants

Smarty Plants

Farm Hand
Oh man, that's terrible!!! Hopefully they'll come back as it starts getting dark. How many hens do you have?
I have 20 hens. I thought they'd be all together, but only 11 have returned so far. They don't look hurt or anything at least. Do you think it's a bad sign though? My neighbors have their lights on for me and all have put their dogs and cats up for the time being. I think if everyone went inside and it was calm, that I could call the hens home and they'd come. I'm about to call off the search party, I think.

Update: I've rounded all of them up but two. I'm worried about those two. I've had them for years.

Last edited:

RichZ

Chocolate Milk Cow
I have 20 hens. I thought they'd be all together, but only 11 have returned so far. They don't look hurt or anything at least. Do you think it's a bad sign though? My neighbors have their lights on for me and all have put their dogs and cats up for the time being. I think if everyone went inside and it was calm, that I could call the hens home and they'd come. I'm about to call off the search party, I think.

Update: I've rounded all of them up but two. I'm worried about those two. I've had them for years.
Hopefully they'll turn up tomorrow. I am very attached to my animals, as well. I hope they come home.

Smarty Plants

Smarty Plants

Farm Hand
@Nora, that's what her husband said, but her rationale makes sense. She thought it was customary to collect the eggs you were going to use for the day. Through a text, I told her I was happy to just give them all to her and to help herself. They were free eggs and she didn't feel comfortable asking me to fetch them for her since I was already doing her a favor. She's bought eggs from me before and has never seen me take eggs out of the fridge because I collect them fresh. It's just a weird accident.
Hopefully they'll turn up tomorrow. I am very attached to my animals, as well. I hope they come home.
Where do you think they could be? What scares me is that the hens always come when I call them. So maybe they've been attacked.

I put all the hens in the garage for tonight, so I could leave the fence and their run and coup open in case the other two come home. We removed the entire side our fence, so the hens can see it's easy to come back. They've never tried flying over the fence before! I'm so surprised they did it with her! Every neighbor is watching their cameras in hopes they see the chickens. I appreciate their help. The neighbor who was accidentally involved is beside herself. I keep telling her that it's my fault for not having the run locked. I don't let the hens out when I'm not here. I keep them in their run on those days. I lock the coop at night, but not the run. Really because I was too lazy to do it.

More Green

More Green

Farm Hand
Things happen.

It sounds like your neighbor didn't want to go inside your house and wanted to collect the eggs outside. So as not to be too intrusive.

RichZ

Chocolate Milk Cow
@Nora, that's what her husband said, but her rationale makes sense. She thought it was customary to collect the eggs you were going to use for the day. Through a text, I told her I was happy to just give them all to her and to help herself. They were free eggs and she didn't feel comfortable asking me to fetch them for her since I was already doing her a favor. She's bought eggs from me before and has never seen me take eggs out of the fridge because I collect them fresh. It's just a weird accident.

Where do you think they could be? What scares me is that the hens always come when I call them. So maybe they've been attacked.

I put all the hens in the garage for tonight, so I could leave the fence and their run and coup open in case the other two come home. We removed the entire side our fence, so the hens can see it's easy to come back. They've never tried flying over the fence before! I'm so surprised they did it with her! Every neighbor is watching their cameras in hopes they see the chickens. I appreciate their help. The neighbor who was accidentally involved is beside herself. I keep telling her that it's my fault for not having the run locked. I don't let the hens out when I'm not here. I keep them in their run on those days. I lock the coop at night, but not the run. Really because I was too lazy to do it.
Well, it's possible that the neighbor scared them so much that they ran away to hide, and the 2 that are still missing either can't find their way home or are still too scared to come out. If your neighbors are looking for them, hopefully someone will find them and bring them back.

Smarty Plants

Smarty Plants

Farm Hand
I got them all back! I am so grateful! My last two hens were here this morning. They don't look rough either, but they fussed at me a little. Hettie and Red are two of my oldest hens. They are two of my Rhode Island Reds. I also have Pearl-White Leghorns. The Leghorns probably set the whole thing off as the birds are more skittish, especially around strangers. Gosh, I'm so glad that's over. I'm so thankful to have them all back and I appreciate my neighbors' help. I ordered a lock and a sign for their run so this never happens again.

@More Green, we were just texting each other which undoubtedly added to the confusion. I don't blame my neighbor at all. This is 100% on me. I'm just glad that I have the opportunity to make the corrections to keep them safe.