Winter survival tips

greg

greg

Farm Hand
Much as winter can be a relief for most of us (a much-needed rest after an extended growing season),it can equally be full of challenges. Ice, the freezing temperature, or ice can wreak havoc. How do you usually get through this season?

OhSusanna

OhSusanna

Golden Chicken
I can handle the cold better than the heat. I just bundle up in layers and get on with it. I block the wind where I can for the animals and that helps us as well, of course. But it doesn't take much to get us through winter.

Birdie

Golden Chicken
It doesn't get that cold here, thankfully. I simply dress warmer and I'm pretty much good to go. I keep an ice scraper in my car in case I need to clear the windshield but that's about it.

ARC55

ARC55

Farm Hand
I have my snow blower and snow shovel ready to go. I picked up a couple of heating mats to keep the front porch from collecting ice. It's so easy to slip when you're tired in the morning and not thinking about being careful.

Locksmith

Locksmith

Farm Hand
Layer up the clothing, make sure exposed water pipes are insulated, make sure you have enough wood, propane, etc....to last the season and stay healthy. That's my advice.

Desi

Desi

Golden Chicken
The winter is a big deal here. We have to make sure the animals are warm, fed more (they can't graze in the snow) and keep their water from freezing. Keeping us warm isn't a big deal, the big deal is the animals.

RichZ

Chocolate Milk Cow
Winter is a big deal here, too (upstate New York). We load up on hay and put up plastic on the windows in the barn. We put out heated water buckets and make sure the fences won't be damaged by snow.