Combines wobble box

pars

My wobbble box began making a noise. I pulled the top off and replaced the cones on the timken bearings on the pittman part of the wobble box. They had grooves where the rollers ran.Took the play out and it worked great. I done this on the combine.

caribou

Go out and get an SCH setup and don't look back. JD's box is not able to consistently handle a 30' head. The SCH drive and complete sickle bar and sections will cost about $3000. Too bad you had to find all these problems on a new head. Best deal is to buy a used head and then put this setup on, it will be better than new. In order to try to get by with the Deere wobble one could try changing over to synthetic oil. It may help some. Go with Amsoil Series 2000 75W-90.

ARricefarmer

go with the sch. I have no idea why JD still uses that archaic wobble box. Its just an accident waiting to happen. Are problem down here is that they get gumbo mud behind the arm and it wont make a full stroke and thats pretty much gonna be it. You have to clean around it everyday. The sch is AlOT more simple to install than replacing or rebuilding a wobble box. We need to convert all of our headers over. btw, if you drive a little slower its not as tough on the sickle and that saves alittle wear and tear, let me guess, you got a STSIJ

Ausfarming

Thanks for the info. Yep, got an STS, but don't drive it as hard as some others around here. We are the only ones who have had probs with the box in our area. can you hook the sch onto the deere sickle or do you have to replace the whole lotIJ Cheers, Drrhino.

Ausfarming

Thanks for the advice. Can't really afford to change over at $3000 (I presume US$). Having a shocker year in Aus. Will make the repayments, but only just! But will definately try the synthetic oil out. Cheers, Drrhino.

Gene9750

In stead of buying a different wobble box right away,first you might want to check the wear plates to make sure they are not to tight and the hold downs could be to.If you have to much drag then you will destroy wobble boxes.You should be able to move the sickle by hand.And if the hold downs are to loose you can have the same problems because you won't cut the crop right either.

guru

we run a 930R and a 920f 925d and have had no problem with any wobble boxs yet but...i would be looking at the stroke on your one it seems has if it is coming up against something...make sure you can turn it freely by hand also check the shaft speed this is the number one killer of wobble boxs.......i agree with you about been a hard year in aussie crops are not looking good down our way and what is is shelling before we get the headers to it....good luck

tkrahn

Gene is right, I was cutting some down wheat in Oklahoma with some custom cutters a few years back, the wobble boxes really chattered in the down wheat, and the tough grass, we never had any trouble with the boxes going, just the counterweight arm, it would get a little loose, and then chatter back and forth until it was completely stripped out. we just put a new arm on it and kept going. we would sometimes feel the wobble boxes to make sure they weren't getting hot, but never wrecked one. I have heard of a lot of guys putting oversized pulleys on the drive shaft so the box will go faster, they say that you can drive a lot faster and do a better job, they were custom cutters who thought it was a good deal to waste one out of three boxes each year so they could cut faster and neater

Bubs

Sorry, Ontarioanteater,I sold all I had. Good luck hunting one. Bubs

2166master

I have an oil bath off of a 1997 1020 I would sell,email me if interested. merbethk@merbeth-metals.com