Your good/bad in 2020?

Pinewood Acres

Pinewood Acres

Farm Hand
I hope it's not too early to start reflecting on the past year. Livestock wise, what went well for you this year and what didn't work out as you'd hoped? I fought off goat ringworm and it seemed to have cleared up for a few months. Unfortunately, it hit us again, so I moved the healthy goats to another area. It's odd that it's happened this time of year. I have quarantined the infected goats. I don't have very many goats to begin with, so I should be able to get a handle on it. On the other hand, my chickens have had a very good year! The baby chicks were hale and hearty and I didn't lose any. My hens aren't doing much laying this time of year, but that's to be expected since I don't use artificial lighting, and they aren't big layers during the cold season.

leon

leon

Golden Chicken
There's never a 'right' time for a farmer to reflect, and I believe next year will be bigger and better. I am yet to take stock of what went wrong or right or fell below expectations, but at least trying my hand in chicken farming went well.

Almost Eden

Almost Eden

Bean Stalker
Your question made me realize that I've had an incredibly bland year really. I didn't add the peacocks and I think that was a smart decision, but other than that, everything has been pretty steady.

Urban Homestead

Urban Homestead

Bean Stalker
I lost five hens to a fox this year. That was rough. As for the good, I successfully bred two heritage rabbits that were on the conservation list.

@Almost Eden, sometimes the bland years are the best years. It's like having a moment to catch your breath.

jack

jack

Farm Hand
I take stock of what I do every other time, and it forms the basis of my annual assessment towards the end of the year. Doing this helps me evaluate whether a new venture is worth pursuing to the end!

BIGRED

BIGRED

Golden Chicken
Interesting topic! Someone is adding peacocks! I have to know more about this. This is something my wife would love to do.
It's been a pretty bland year here too. But I agree, sometimes bland is good - especially for 2020.