Combines 1680 vs 9500

Old_Pokey

What year is your 1680IJ If you have the owners manual, it will tell you what the proper operating rpm of the engine will be. I bet you have the high rpm engine and someone turned down the gov. thinking it would save wear on the engine. If so, you need to have it put back to its proper specs. Then see what happens. If its the navistar engine, it deffinetly should be at 2740+or- rpm at no load. What excactly do you mean when you say you just cant push any more material inIJ Is your feederhouse back feeding, or does the motor want to die on youIJ

Chuckm

Something is definitely wrong. We have a 1989 1660 with the DT466 and cut with a neighbor that has a 9500. We both push 25' rigid headers about the same speed. If there is any advantage, I would give it to the 1660 as we definitely throw less over.

pat

That's been my experience with a 6 row head on my 1680 - head limited at 6.5mph it gets a little hairy unless the corn is standing perfectly. 1680's ought to be competing with 9600_9610's pretty easily.

west_illini

I have a 1680 too, short sieve, with a cummins. Once I pull down to 2640, any more and bottom will drop out. I am going to pull the pump off this winter and send to a pump shop Farmkid2 recommended. I too think I should roll by a 95xx, but I run out of power too soon. The engine is new too. Also this winter I am going over my grain head with a fine tooth comb. In 220 bu corn I was all the way on the hyro until the fluff wouldn't feed in

Winst

Isn't 6.5 mph about the maximum speed in second gearIJ It is on my 1680. I can't imagine combining any faster than this on a steady basis. That is far too fast unless you are on very level and smooth ground. Hitting any small ditches or pivot tracks with a loaded bin at this speed is abusive to the machine, in my opinion. I think 5-5.5 mph is much better, and you can get a lot done. I would rather run a little slower all day than run at max and take a chance on breaking something.

pat

No doubt - normally I run 5.5 to 6.0 in nice standing corn with no weeds. I was just making the point that a 6 row head probably won't overload a 1680 - the head will start pushing over corn before the 1680 runs out of power. Thanks, Pat

loren_SE_IA

You probably have a late '92 model. It has the low speed Cummins same as the 1688. My late '92 1680 has a no load RPM of 2400 and load at 2310-2350 RPM and always seems to have plenty of power. I would guess that some of the settings or threshing components need different adjustments or are maybe pretty wornIJ

chads

As others have said, you should keep up with a 9500 easy. Our old 1480 will walk over a 9500 in corn or soybeans, we do have a specialty rotor, though. I'd check the fuel system out real good, change filters, and maybe check the injectors if you get a couple days. The cummins also need valve adjustments regularly. If the engine hasn't had the maintenance done it can make a big difference in HP. Chads

Redgreen

I have a 2188 with an AFX rotor. This is just a souped up 1680 with an extra 25 hp. It will run side by side with my JD 9750 in 30 feet of 70 bus wheat. We had a 9500 demoded to us 10 years ago against our 1680 in Canola. 1680 was running at 4 mph and the 9500 was at 1.9 mph and plugging the feeder. You need to turn the beeper down to a lower rpm or something is wrong with your 1680.