Combines 88 vs 89 R40 questions

t_leslie

you may have some trouble dumping into semi,,,not so much the lenght of the auger it's more the height of the thing, you can cheat this a littel by not rolling the auger all the way out,,, it actually stands taller at say 95% out than it does at 100%,, check the tire size it seems to be a factor effecting this also

bb

I have a 91 model R40 with a 20'foot flex head. I have no trouble dumping in our bob-truck with 14''ext on the top and role tarp. Check to see if the combine has any updates to the rotor.,i.e. extended bars, shock kit,etc. The reverser bars must go. This will let her purrrrrr with 20' of grain going in. Feeding is everything on these machines the better it feeds the better they do. We really like ours for the cleaniness,and grain quality. Bryan PS, Remember a 40 is basically a 50 with different decals.

lbran

The 88 and 89 models were the same until mid year when the 89 1_2 models were introduced. The biggest difference was the reel and bin unloader switches were moved from the panel to the hydro handle. As for other post about almost letting auger out to gain height, that is not supposed to work, as there is a safety switch at the swivel that is activated when auger is all the way out. If it's not all the way out, it shouldn't come on.

tbran

don't forget the reel drive is diff on 89.5's and threshing grate is a little diff in the way it is fastened in and discharge paddles on the cyl. are diff and the reel speed stuff is diff and yes one can "cheat and weld a lil' ole stop and make the auger stop a little higher and this might require a little adjustment on the dum-dum switch and did you know I failed Eng comp 101 for run on sentencesIJ

IAFarmer

lbran- drop me an email with more info on your 40's and 50's. Do you have a web site showing the combines you have for saleIJ Where are you locatedIJ thanks

kernal

HYDRO lEVER ON 891_2 CHANGED TO ACCOMMODATE REEl lIFT and UNlOADER SWITCHES.891_2 COMBINE HYDRAUlICS CHANGED TO DRIVE HEADER REEl.ADAPTER KITS ARE AVAIlABlE TO USE PRIOR and EFFECTIVE HEADERS.89 and PRIOR HEADERS HAD A SElF CONTAINED SYSTEM.eg.PUMP,VARI-VAlVE,MOTOR.

T__langan

I'll add my $.02 here, as that's usually all it's worth! If I were you, and had the choice between the older '88 and a newer '89 with the new style reel drive - go with the newer. The heads will still work on the new machines without the adpater kit for the reel drive should you update to a newer model in the future. As mentioned, the '89 1_2 and up had a reel drive that uses the combine's hydraulics rather than a head mounted hydraulic pump for the older models. Also, with an R40, be SURE to check out the mods we have here on this site to make her feed evenly. We started out with an early 89 R40 and it was seriously underpowered due to slug feeding and reverse cylinder bars. I hadn't been "SAVED" yet by this site and didn't know what to do about it so we traded up to an R50 with mo' power. Had I known what to look for and how to correct the situation, the 40 would have been a great machine. BTW, the R40 will run circles around the 6620 and most likely the 7720. Good luck!

IAFarmer

I just got off the phone with a dealer that said the suggested that I consider moving up to an R50 because the r40 is essentially an underpowered r50 without the chrome cage. To put a chrome cage on the 40 would run around $5000(IJ). any opinons on that subjectIJ Curiously enough, he had an r50 for sale, but no r40's- hmmmm.

T__langan

Well, he's correct. If the 40 ain't got a million hours on it though, the cage could very well be fine with no need to replace it. The chrome is just more resistant to wear. Essentially, one could make a cheap R50 out of an R40. R40's are cheaper due to lower demand for the class IV combines - buy one in good shape, goose the hp up to 190, add some bin extensions to increase it to 200 bu and you have yourself an R50. It will be fine as long as you don't try toolin' down a rough field at 15 mph with a hopper full of corn as the 40's have lighter duty final drives - one would need to exersize common sense. A properly set up 40 that feeds well would make an excellent 4 to 6 row combine. Add some of the mods from this site and you have a lean, mean, 6 row machine. I know what you mean 'bout them AGCO dealers - they're a shady bunch!! Just ask tbran, lbran, Dan, or Tom Hurtt!! Just kiddin' around guys! ;) Tom l.