Combines Anyone gone from JD to GEANERIJ

Tom_Russell

We have hired custom cutters with JD 9000 series conventionals to help with corn. JD gets high marks with clean samples but they accomplish it by blowing corn over the shoe. We were comparing results with an l2 and later an R60.

R_O_M

Yep! Bought a JD 95 Round Back way back in 1961. Worst combine we have ever owned. Just could not get it to make a sample or stop grain going over the sieves and walkers. Then bought an Aussie built combine, nice and simple and quite good but they could not compete against the size and financial might of the US companies with their huge home markets. About 1996 we bought an l2. Been with Allis _ Agco ever since. Have read all the [ exaggerated! ] propaganda on JD's. Just looking at them makes me shudder, they are so bloody complicated and difficult to work on. like every machine ever built, if it shakes, rattles and rolls its gonna break. When it does, Rolf and I have to fix it. Therefore the simpler and easier to maintain the better and JD's definitely don't fit that criteria. The latest MF's look even better than the Gleaners and Case aren't bad either. The rest look awful from the repair and maintenance angle, especially if your agent is so so or distance is involved to the nearest shop. I bet this gets them going!

MostlyGreen

It's tough to argue with logic; - I love my STS when it's working but it's a nightmare to work on, other than regular maintenance. Massey's and Gleaners are definitely nicer to work on. Your comparision of a JD 95 roundback to today's technology is a little unrealistic; - it would be like comparing a "first year" N series to todays R series; - a lot has changed (for the better). Compared to a 9000 series conventional (which, I feel, was Deere's best series),I think you'd like it far better than the 95.

Hibred

Well have thought about it more then once, driven a 9500, 9510, 9560, they all did a nice job but all of them are a nightmare to work on and i think with all the moving parts on them bearings are going to be a major pain so this is as far as it has ever gotten, thinking about them, like the Deere's but like our R65 for maintanance much better BUT as far as the flex head Deere does make a better more flexible ground hugging, closer cutting nicer feeding head, i still say if we didn't have an air reel on our 8000 and the 800 and 500 heads before and have our head modified and by that i mean the skid shoes modified we wouldn't be able to do as near nice a job so i hope Agco is and has been listening and will have a much much better head out in 2006, hoping to see one soon. If anyone knows anything more on Agco's new flex head please shed some light on this for us all. I guess in a nutshell i wouldn't trade my 65 for a Deere but i would put a green head on our 65 and make an awesome cutting machine. I still like some of the creature comforts on the Deere but wonder how long it will be before they cause trouble.

deadeye

Not sure I've seen a new gleaner in the field for yrs around here. We tried the 8680MF_C-62gleaner what a pile of crap always in the shop.

Krawler

You are right, used to work for a Deere ag dealer and I thought those 9600's were pretty nice to work on compared to our Massey. Now we have a N6 and I can't believe how far ahead their design was over Deere. So many less moving parts, a lot of capacity in a little combine.

Illinois_Gleaner

Not going to happen very much,I cut beans with my buddy last week. He had a 9600-30ft head. I had my 72( the stock one). 55 bu beans. I could cut 4.6 he could cut 3.0 side by side. He said you have alot bigger combine. I said when that came out that was deeres big one and this was gleaners big one,he wouldnt ever buy a gleaner even when he saw the difference.Besides I told him you wouldnt want a rotor you dont need them to keep up remember. lOl That is what they told you for 20 years.I would just love to go to the corn field with him Illinois Gleaner

sidekick

When they were showing off the new concept in combines(the 9600's that resembled an M Gleaner in design)the local dealer told my neighbor(N5 guy)that rotors were too costly on fuel.That was why Deere wouldn't build one.What changedIJ

MostlyGreen

My brother went from a Gleaner (R60) to a Deere (9610) and back to a Gleaner; - simplicity and dealer support were his only two reasons; - prices to trade were almost identical between the two.