Combines cat 480 replace two axial flowsIJ

Big_Green

Well i disagree with u slighty on the finding a cart operator easier than a combine operator b_c when we are in high yielding crops the grain cart guy has to be able to load trucks FAST keep combines going and not tear anything up. But i am not saying that the worst hand should be in the combine either.

budlitesocool

We run two combines, but shortage of help mostly run one. We rented a cx 860, and wow, it sure has capacity, and a dream to run. low daily maintenance, in tough conditions it don't slow down. 15% moisture canola, straw that you can tie a knot in without breaking, that averaged 40-50 bushels an acre we still averaged 19.7 acres an hour combining(separator hours),wheat 21% 18.5 acres an hour. I am now straight cutting canola that has had two light wet snows on it, the honey bee header is the limiting factor, canvases are building up with snow, but still averaging over 20 acres. our two combines will get traded I can tell. Grain cart is necessary to maintain speed, and this fall the weight of the cx you have to dump often. I thimk that one combine will not outdo 2, but can be easier to look after one

beh

Im with big green...in fact is high yeilding crops in big fields...we have found you need some one awful sharp in the cart...just my .02... brad

Case_Farmer

So your saying operating a grain cart is alot harder than a combineIJIJIJIJIJIJIJIJIJ

Big_Green

I think combine is easier if you are familar with equip. and know how to properly run one to begin with, But grain cart driver has to be able to load trucks and not OVERlOAD them and properly run the door, know when to shut the door so you dont haf to shut the auger off with it being full. WE cross alot of ditches to load trucks in the road, you also want somebody that is gunna be careful to not tip your cart over but also some one that will be fast enough to get back to the combines to keep them running. As i stated above i dont think the combine needs the worst hand but in general i like exprienced people in all my equip.

jp

Grain cart is hands down harder then a combine. There are cart drivers, and there are good cart drivers. One quickly learns to appreciate the good ones, which seem to be far between.

beh

noi guess i shoule have been a little clearer...i read that and realized that it did not say what i meant it to say...all i was getting at was that you need a good operator in a cart...you will have to hire someone who is pretty sharp if they are going to do it right and KEEP UP. beh

Case_Farmer

A Complex machine like a combine compared to a wagon with wheels and a auger lol Personally i could find alot of people that would be alot more interested in running a grain cart than a combine. Especially if your just finding someone who has no experience or lil at all..

jp

Go on a harvest run sometime if you think any ol flunky can run a "wagon with wheels and auger," it'll open your eyes. Only the good cart drivers survive there, the good ones can handle 4-5 combines by themselves, the bad ones can't even keep up with two combines. I'm always a combine driver, don't claim to be a cart driver at all. Heck ya a combine is a lot more complex, but the cart takes a completely different mindset. With the combine you set her and go, after about two hours you're in the zone for the rest of the year and just move that stick from the way the combine is talking to ya through your butt planted in the seat. Cart drivers are dealing with the pressures of keeping machines rolling, making sure not to get tangled up in the end of the headers no matter what strange actions the combine driver takes, getting those trucks loaded legal....while being sure never to spill grain or stop the auger full of grain, etc. I've dumped on many, many cart drivers and the good ones stand WAY out and make my job as a combine operator so much easier, the bad ones, well I've learned how to properly cuss on the two way. There is a reason every custom harvester out there considers the cart driver the leader of the field, he_she is key to making sure all combines and trucks are moving and productive, if they are slacking off and not keeping up, you've got expensive machines sitting there losing money. In your words, lol, lol, lol, lol.......

Case_Farmer

im talking about farming just a family farm...ect.. Not some big combine Harvest run with 5-10 combines your kinda off subject.... Point taken...but still IN a TYPICAl SETTING Finding a person to run a very expensive combine is alot harder and can cost you alot more money than some guy driving a grain cart SORRY PEOPlE BUT IM RIGHT :) lOl :)