Combines cat 480 replace two axial flowsIJ

Case_Farmer

im talking about farming just a family farm...ect.. Not some big combine Harvest run with 5-10 combines your kinda off subject.... Point taken...but still IN a TYPICAl SETTING Finding a person to run a very expensive combine is alot harder and can cost you alot more money than some guy driving a grain cart SORRY PEOPlE BUT IM RIGHT :) lOl :)

riceman

I could't agree more JP. The cart driver runs the show. We only run 2 combines here on our 4000 acre farm and even then a average cart driver will slow you up a bunch. like letting both combines get full at the same time. That kills productivity when one has to stop and wait for the other to empty out. I drive the combine along with my dad or grandad and sometimes I'll swap up with the cart driver and run it for a day or 2. Custom harvesters will tell you that the cart is the cheapest thing that they run. That means don't baby it. Run the wheels off of it and they will make more money. And Kinze's are tough! They stand up to the abuse like no other that I have seen.

jp

My last post dealing with this subject, most likely pointless, but anyways.... The custom harvester example was simply to VERY clearly illustrate the point I was making. Because they are running 5-10 combines efficiency is the name of the game, but the same truths apply to a family farm.....for what reason wouldn't theyIJ It just becomes a bit more clear to the bottom line when you are multiplying each savings by say five machines, rather then one, or in your case two combines as found on most farms. Crop is being cut by both groups, farmers and cutters, getting the crop cut in the most timely fashion is of utmost importance for each due to weather conditions, fuel burned, other operations waiting, less labor cost for each acre harvested, could go on and on and on. I've combined on several farms as well (no, NOT custom harvesting!!!!) and experienced the same thing, one of the best cart operators I've dumped on was the farmer's daughter. The worst cart driver also happened to be on a farm, he didn't get the nickname "lightning" on a whim, he earned it by constantly plodding along. It was a prime example of where he should have been assigned to running a combine steady all day long at 5mph, rather then sitting in a 1000 bushel cart plodding along at 5mph no matter what, coming up under combine augers the wrong way, etc. Sure, he was the cheap labor you keep talking about, but he really held up the higher paid operators from doing their job in the combine and the net result was a big waste of time, fuel, and productivity thanks to the other combine and I having to spend countless hours driving to the trucks to dump or sitting at the far end of the field with the "full hopper" alarm alert and the auger sticking out waiting for lightning to come back and pick us up. You pay for $7_hour labor, you get it, and it affects all others around, no matter what they happen to be making. Why is it on a farm you typically see the cart driver considered the low end on the totem pole of the employees_operatorsIJ Because the farmer is running the combine, picking corn or cutting wheat_beans is a lot of fun, said farmer paid for the machine, so he's gonna have the fun!! It has nothing to do with saving money, the expense of the machine being operated, or anything like that, it comes down to the more enjoyable job (combine over cart) being taken by the guy that has the right to choose simply because he's paying the bills.

farmboy

If your going to run an 8010 or big cat or big john deere your going to need two carts in good corn.

Case_Farmer

You have some good points But i just think its easier to find someone to do a job like grain cart driving than combining Show them how to set the sensetivity and settings on the head's.....show them that you have to cut off boundries of fields...here's how the GPS works For our field mapping.. If you hear this noise that means this This alarm usually means this What if your sample isn't well.....well here are some things you can do write out a list of things for him to do meanwhile how this big expensive piece of equipment works in the first place So yeah if you want to find some cheap help and throw him into a combine be my guest Personally the person with the most expertiese in combineing and has a good idea on how things work or really want to gets that job I can take anyone and put them in a tractor and 5 min later they have a decent idea of whats going on and you can hollar at them on the radio or they can see your getting full and you can unload. Grain Cart Driving is easier to teach someone who wants to help out on the farm

Case_Farmer

True but im just talking about showing someone who just has some free time and wants to help totall stranger to this job There fore wouldn't you agree with me it would be easier to show them how to run a grain cart

MostlyGreen

I think what jp is trying to say (or at least elude to) is that a great cart operator is hard to come by; - their talents are far more "instinctive" than that of a combine operator. Most people can be taught to set and operate a combine and, over time, will become very good at it; - none of us are born with that knowledge, we All have to learn it. On the other hand, most people can be taught to run a tractor and grain buggy, but "the knack" of being a GREAT buggy operator CAN'T be taught; - you either have it or you don't. You may run a grain buggy for years and be successful at it, but you might never be GREAT at it. The odds of becoming a GREAT combine operator are (in my opinion) are far greater, simply because you only have YOURSElF and YOUR COMBINE to deal with, and no one else. The buggy operator has to deal with EVERYONE in the field INClUDING himself. I agree with jp; - I can find more GREAT combine operators than GREAT buggy operators.

MostlyGreen

Yes, definitely; - but don't expect that person to be a GREAT cart operator.

MF_9790

Hey, From what I have learned you need at least one grain cart per combine in corn if it is a big machine like a class 7 or biiger. I think if you let the grain cart driver run the combine for a day or two and then put them back in the cart they will be a better cart driver because they will have a better idea of when you need to dump and then you will have a better cart driver. Also they need to be able to dump in trucks to keep the combines going. With one combine I was stopped because I filled 5 straight trucks, a 725 bu. cart and a 300 bu. combine. No one cat won't keep up with two axail flows. I think you should just get a cart and you will increase productivity lots. I have thrashed grain without the grain cart and it is slow going. It seems like you don't get anything done. MF 9790

hop_a_l

my .02 Agree with jp. Once you run with a good grain cart operator just anybody in the cart will make you cussing mad. My biggest pet peive is the combine should never never never have to say "I'm full". Any time the combine is over half full and the cart is near dump it. It doesn't have to be full when there is more than 1 combine in a field.