Combines Cat 480 vs R 72

Brian

I've only test driven the Cat so I can't say that I've had a lot of experience with them. However, I sure felt that it's performance was impressive. It was equipped with a 12 row corn head and in 165 bu corn at 6.5 mph it never blinked. Cylinder speed was 220 rpms; I liked that. Sample was good too. However, I heard that they placed last at the Farm Progress Show this summer in Amana, IA while Gleaner took first. I was surprised to hear that because the sample we got was good.

T__langan

Unless the "Hurtt" has been put to the R72! And the Hyper, and the Brannon, etc. Remember Grasshopper, the Kitty is a mere class VII but a properly "tweaked" R72 would be a class VIII if such a class existed! As I told you before - Open the mind's eye! See Brian's post. What amazes me about the American farmer is that he wouldn't take a 2nd look at a Claas lexion but since CAT put a calf dung yellow paint job over the pea green Claas paint, now it's the answer to the American harvest in some guy's opinion. Tom langan

Silver_Bullet

Friend of mine has a 480.....says it is tough to do some of the daily service on. Such as hard places to get too and etc. Runs good otherwise. They are pricey and more complicated than a Gleaner.

T__langan

Or, in the case of the 9000 series conventionals, there ain't much interest in them even though they DO say "John Deere" on the side! ;) Tom l.

TJ

Tom, ohh maybe!! But the Deere will continue to have more interest

T__langan

AlMIGHTY, yes - market leading, not YET. Just be patient though!......

TJ

PATIENCEIJIJ More like the ETERNAl OPTIMIST or THE NONREAlISTIC DREAMER.

T__langan

All the great things in the world have come from those type of people. A lot of people no doubt said the same things about JFK when he declared the U.S. would go to the moon in 10 years back in 1960(IJ). I predict that if trends in combine performance and reliability continue, Gleaner will be back on top like they were in the 70's in 10 years or less. Not that I'm a JFK or anything........!