Combines Cat 480 vs R 72

T__langan

All the great things in the world have come from those type of people. A lot of people no doubt said the same things about JFK when he declared the U.S. would go to the moon in 10 years back in 1960(IJ). I predict that if trends in combine performance and reliability continue, Gleaner will be back on top like they were in the 70's in 10 years or less. Not that I'm a JFK or anything........!

Dan

You reminded me Brian of the Farm Progress Show. I heard the results of crop losses in corn and can't quite figure it out. From what I heard the Gleaner did place No.1 with the CaseIH about the same and the Cat was terrible as was the STS. I heard that FFA did the crop loss analisis and no figures would be published unless all manufactures agreed. With the name of the show being Farm PROGRESS why wouldn't results be publishedIJ Is it true that a disk harrow quickly worked the ground behind the combinesIJ Were there any crop quility tests to check for damage from machinesIJ If the losses were so bad out of the Cat or STS I would have to ask why. Was the crop to dry or to wetIJ Did they have the wrong concaves for the crop or was it because the STS and Cat were jolting up and above the show speed limit at times to impress the audience. Maybe the speed overloaded the machine and that was where crop loss was measured. If the results I heard are anywhere near right why didn't them two machines see it on there crop loss monitors and correct the problem. Maybe it didn't matter what was thrown out if the farmer couldn't check it out before the ground was worked. Don't sound like Farm PROGESS to me. Please note this is only what I have been able to find out. Does anyone have some hard core facts from the showIJ

T__langan

Don't forget that old saying - "Money Talks"! I doubt the big boys would want the results published if they had just gotten their behinds kicked by lowely ol' Gleaner with only 11% market share - for now at least! Perhaps the Hyper guys could enlighten usIJ Are we talking about the FPS that was held in Iowa last fallIJ

Aar

A lot was said on another board about the FPS and the combines. If I remember right, it rained 3 of the 4 days and the fields were very tough. I'm not sure that a sample from a show like that really counts, as the idea is to just flash the tin to the world. As for disking right behind the combines, there is more than just combines in a field. A lot of the "big iron" guys like to show tillage equipment too. A side note, I think ANY rotor needs to be run at or above capacity. Our N5 will put the crop back in the field if we go too slow, speed up and it's all in the bin. I see no speed limit signs in my fields, and I don't think there should be one for a show. Run at what gives the best sample.

STRAWBOSS

YOUR BOTH CRAZY. A GOOD 410 MASSEY WOUlD OUTCUT THEM BOTH!!! lOl

Dan

I missed the talk on any other board about FPS. I believe you are right about the rain. You are right in that if conditions are not fit to run at a show the results would be misleeding. That is part of what I like about the natural flow Gleaner with the so called narrow feeder and concave. They just aren't so fussy whether the crop is wet, dry, light, or heavy. I actually crave tough conditions anymore with the Gleaner. I understand the companys want to flash the tin around but they should show us the quality of crop and low losses from the shiny machines for it to be PROGRESS. I think the crop was good at the show so I would think they should of been able to set the machines for little loss at 5 MPH with a 12 row head. I agree there shouldn't be a speed limit but speed means nothing if there isn't good quality grain in the bin with little loss out the back. I would suppose speed limit is for safety which should be number one concern. Anyway it would sure be nice to have some official results from a big show like that in Amana.

Brian

The results that I were told pertained only to grain quality (corn) not grain losses. The results were as follows: Gleaner, New Holland, Case-IH, John Deere STS, and Cat. The fellow who told me about the results was an exhibitor for a small line tillage company. He said that when completed all the JD people were so mad they would hardly talk. Then they started complaining that they didn't have theirs set right. I can't see why they didn't have it set right they had just as much time as anyone else. The way it sounds Cat must of had the cylinder speed up a little too high. I guess they were trying to show off a little because they did their strip at 10 mph; sounds like it back fired.

Big_Al

I have to agree with you Tom I don't what all the fuss is about this CAT combine as far as I'm concerned