Combines Fine Cut Chopper

slims

yes the chopper moves much faster on the fine-cut, and the hammer pivots have been re-desinged with hardened bushings in them. hope this helps

Bob_l

Set of 6 pairs (12 knives) and hardware is approx $180 just bought a set. The chop a lot better than the old single (hammer) type.

acre_eater

So you put the knives on inplace of the standard knives. I thought you probably had to change the whole chopper. Tim

Bob_l

Actually they came in the machine, we have 2 machines and the price was $150 for the replacement knife kit instead of $180. I don't know if they will bolt right on the regular chopper drum or not. I had 2 62's with single hammer style but can remember what the mounts on the drum looked like. Dealer with parts book counld maybe help you.

gleanermanitoba

We changed to fine cut a few years ago while they were still on prototype so I do not remember the cost to upgrade. They do cut much finer than the original. You do replace the entire chopper plus the bottom grate with a new set of stationary knives. I do not remember the year it changed but after 98 and prior to 02 the accelerator rolls were made shorter to accomodate a 2 speed drive pully other wise its a one speed pully and you need to change drive pully to go to slow speed.

unit_3

Will these work in an N6 from 81, or are they only for the new machinesIJ

Paul

I know some guys on their JD straw choppers, to cut finer, they installed longer stationary blades and also installed beveled or sharpened chopper blades which they got at loewens. Might work for youIJ

NowGleaner7

Paul, I am trying trying make the system less aggressive for baling straw, and that is why I am removing the stationary knives and maybe blunting (rounding) the knives would help when you want to bale the straw.

R5

We have had good luck baling oats straw behind a fine cut chopper set on low speed with the "concave" down and out of the way. The straw isn't full length, but our customers prefer the preprocessing this gives the straw.

posum

be vary carful about rounding the hammers this could cause improper feeding and could back up into the machine.