Combines Houston we have ignition 4400 IS AlIVE

The_Red

Deere no longer has the custom seal. I had to buy a 50 foot role for $100. I figure it will take around 20-25 for the windshield. Now if rain will hold off this afternoon, I will try to track down that hydraulic leak!

DG

Red, Congratulations, the old girl may make it yet. We have all pulled a stunt like the window at least once, some more than once. Keep us posted, we need something to keep us entertained this winter. Good luck and be careful. We don't want to have hear any bad news. Don

The_Red

Don I pull a Red once a year. Neighbor Ernie was thinking about charging me to run his 6620 Titan II combine in his fields this year! Fortunately I had no mishaps this fall for once. 2 years ago on Ernies' 4420, I dug the table into a swail and swallowed up a huge tree branch onto the table. It pulled all the horizontal augur posts right out on that 215 grain table. Jeff and I spent the evening fixing that! Back in 1995 I manage to hit the only tree in a 40 acre field with the 4420 dumping augur tube. Bent the tube big time. Ernie and I made a trip the next morning up to Bryant Combine in Bryant Indiana and traded the tube for a refurbished one.

riceman

Must be nice to have inexhaustable amounts of money lying around to spend on a hobby. but i am glad you got it running.do you know were I might get a model toy of a 4400. This is what i like to spend money on;childrens toys. sometimes I think that the real thing is cheaper than a toy. Well, off to deere to buy more toys.

The_Red

Well after dumping $3,500 on a Farmall H restoration last spring, I have permanent brain damage. I am sure I will unload $3K without blinking an eye. You might have to call Ertl toys to get one. I doubt you will find a 4400 at the Deere store. I didn't see one at Reynolds Farm Equipment in Fishers Indiana. I did speak to the previous owner awhile ago. He just chuckled about the windshield. Anyway he said that it in fact had a distributor rebuild and a valve job before he purchased it in 1992. That explains why the rocker arm area looked so good when I first pulled off the cover last weekend. That would also explain why the distributor is not positioned as shown in the owners manual.

beet

prestients pays off RED . idon"t have the patients for some thing like that ,it is nice to see some one that does .my self i get pee off with just a bad battery .you over came alot of bigger promblems than that. about the windshield weall have boners like that in the closet s just we are not brave enogh to say it on the W.W.W. CON . aqnd keep us posted on your progess. P.S. i have a 1951 FARMAll H iwould like to fix up some time. Dad bought it with the farm in 1953. so it would be nice to fix it up for him .

The_Red

Beetonia just email me anytime on that Farmall H. I have done alot of work on several. I am not an expert in the transmission area though. You can get great help on the Farmall board at ytmag.com. Some interesting news. I talked to the previous owner today. When he bought the combine in 1992, the dealership stuck on all new belts, rebuilt the distributor (explains why its not in the politically correct position) and the head was overhauled. Sounds like I have a winner on the engine.

The_Red

Tomorrow I am going to inspect the main hydraulic pump under the seat. I cannot find a specific procedure on the seat and cover removal over the engine power shaft assembly. Probably a dumb question. Thanks in advance. Probably obvious when I look at it tomorrow. My plan tomorrow is to pick up some non JD hydraulic oil and try to find that leak. No reason to waste JD hy-gard until I find the leak.

beet

Red the seat will tip up and ahead if iremember right the back window has to be open . this all sounds easy ,but it is a tight fit if you are abig guy . itshould by simual to the 6620 if irememer right

JHEnt

Under the cab floorboard to the right side is where the main valve block sits. It should have all steel lines attached to it. Unles something somehow pinched one of those lines they probilly won't be you're leak. There are two short rubber hyd hoses that connect between the steering valve and the bottom of the steering column. There is a good chance it may be from one of those. The steering system gets the priority hyd flow from the pump. I've installed automatic header hieght on three combines in the last few years so I'm pretty familiar with the hyd system on a 4400.