Combines I am stumped 4400 saga continues

rotor_man

I dont think I have seen a solid damper pulley on a chev 6. The damper usually has 2 belt grooves on the outer ring, The center hub has provisions for an extra bolt on pulley which would be one piece, and make it hard to see the damper parts. I have not worked with one of these engines as installed in a 4400 so I am at a disadvantage as to the number of pulley's and other accessories. You mentioned that others have tried to start the combine, so you may have to undo fiddling others have done.

The_Red

Well rotor man she is firing on 3 but won't sustain. I pulled the plugs and shot more oil and cranked a few turns. When 6 was between exhaust and intake, I checked n1 and 6 pistons and they were near or at the top. I then set the distributor platform so it lined up with the rotor. I left the ignition on so the points sparked when I had it set correctly. Nice bright white spark. What is interesting is that the n1 post is exactly as I saw it last weekend. Nothing close to what is in the manual. Someone has had that distributor out. I put it all back together with new distributor cap and plug wires. I made about 12 attempts with a good 20 cranks per attempt shooting in starter fluid. She fired on 3 each time but not enough that I could let off on the starter and she would sustain. It was cranking very very fast once the 3 or so cylinders lit off. It was only 46 degrees in Indy and I am sure that was working against me. If it had been 70, I bet she would have run albeit very rough. I figure it needs to run an hour before the other cylinders start kicking in. Anyway I ran the two batteries down. I am going to walk the mowed path this week to check for tire eaters. I am going to have to get the pickup back there with long battery cables so I can crank for a longer period of time. Got the batteries charging again. But it will be next weekend before it is warm enough to try again. I was so close!