Combines I was in Hesston last weekend and this is what I saw

Guy_C

By saying Massey went broke is kind of funny,lol.If you want to discuss the buisness aspect of the transaction of '94' do some reasearch,I don't have the time to explain it to you.Maybe you are not in left field about the tractors,we all know about the huge sales success of the 'AGCOSTAR' lol.

Illinois_Gleaner

Allen I agree with you 100% on that. If it wasnt for Ratliff and the chance he took,neither one of us would have the combine we want. I think you would agree with me ,when I say I am not driving a Massey,and you say you arent driving a gleaner,no matter what color they are.The main place I do buisness is a big Massey dealer,probably one of the biggest in the US,and I am sure they would agree with me when I say there are alot more Gleaners sold then Masseys. I just wish there was somewhere a guy could get some figures. IG

Illinois_Gleaner

your quote "And if you loose an ag customer to a lousy paint scheme than it's some young kid talking big with daddys money." Start painting JD a different color see how well they sellIJIJIJIJIJIJIJIJIJIJIJIJ And yes I am some smartmouthed snot nosed kid,that isnt going to drive a massey painted grey. If it wasnt for my dad,I would nt be farming today. But I am sure you have made it all on your own. I dont know of .any farmers in my area that just decided I want to farm and started from nothing. So I guess if you started with your dad you are talking about yourself. IG

Deerebines

Ah, young squire. That is exactly why you will be farming with your dad for such a long time to come. Yes, I did start with my dad. I won't lie. Probably most everyone did. Then again, I started as soon as I could barely see over a steering wheel. By 23 I was renting my own land outside of family relation and starting to buy my own equipment. Today I am darn near self sufficient and I didn't get that way with an attitude I know more and better than a multi million dollar company and I didn't get that way with blinders on to only one color. It's mighty funny that this glorious gleaner ya'll brag about has all these funky twists (hyperizing) that ya'll think make it some sort of super harvestor, yet agco in hesston doesn't promote or support the ideas and lastly but far from least, they were the last to develop a class 8 machine and of all the other colors out there, deere and case dominate the custom cutting scene. why didn't you comment below about the black on the machine that you said it didn't have eitherIJ Well, you have yourself a nice day.

Illinois_Gleaner

I really dont think that I said anything bad about your Massey or Deere or any combine. You are the one that started Running Gleaner down.That is the way it is with people like you,always have to start running things down to make you feel better.I just made a comment about Agco sells more Gleaners then Masseys. That is a FACT. Then you blow your mouth off about barn tin grey,and on and on. I have nothing against Massey combines. I just choose to run gleaners,as my dad did before me. I am 40 years old and run my own farm. My dad is retired. Sounds like we are about in the same situation,if it wasnt for dad we neither one would be farming. And I am having a good day laying on the beach in Panama City. IG

Guy_C

Gleaner outsells Massey,lol.You must be liveing in a dream world,lol.Massey probably sells more combines in one month overseas than Gleaner sells in a year.Face reality.Just the facts,

Deerebines

Oh yes, I just started my day and didn't feel good and seen your post and decided, heck, now here's a guy I can "run down" so I can "feel better". You bet pal. Your comment about agco selling more gleaners than masseys was the start of what looked like a public demonstration against massey. As for "blow my mouth off", they do look barn tin silver to me. right light, right angle........ its there. If you have nothing against massey combines, then why did you start the griping anywaysIJ Glad your enjoying the beach. Nothing like payin and playin in the middle of summer with all kinds of work to be done.

allen

the last figures our rep told us was that MF did out sell the gleaner line, that is what i am going off of, but i will say this at farm progress show i asked a gleaner rep and an MF rep they told me there was virtually no difference, then i went and asked another gleaner rep he siad gleaner outsold them 2 to 1, i know areas are different but i have a hard time seeing gleaner outselling mf who knows but it sure did liven this forumn up though! and that is very true on ratliff i'm glad he did for case and deere to have competition, i don't like the whole agco dealer situation though just not many around here and i think that is the biggest drawback to both brands, there would be more of them if they had better dealer support, i'm sure everybody would agree with me on that, just not sure how u can fix that though, a lot of guys have a bad taste from mf and agco both, and not when you mention agoc it just scares them away, i hope they can get that all ironed out. allen

gleanermanitoba

I know its not official figures but the last I heard about a year ago when talking to an Agco territory guy he said currently it was about 3 to one in favor of Gleaner in North America but the Massey line was gaining if you factor in european sales Massey probably is = or more. As far as I am concerned we run the Gleaner line and have since the 70's with an l2 them nade the change to an N6 in the 80's and our gleaners have done us well very few problems and until recent years they werwe as big a machine as there was in our experience. That being said they are not perfect we have had issues with the smaller feeder, a small discharge and not great chopping of straw and inconsistant spreading of that straw. In the past we have looked at the Massey machine but from talking to dealers got the impression that there wasn't much capacity difference between the two (in the same class) so why not stay with what you know and we have been able to get a better straw chop and spread as well as smooth out the feeding so we stayed grey_silver. That being said we had the opportunity to demo a an 8010, a CR970, and a lexion 570 last year and got to see what some of their strenghts and weeknesse were ( all colors have some of both). Then after looking at all the new class 8 machines at farm shows this winter and summer the Agco machines (both red and silver) impressed me with what I saw, the machines seem very simple as far as its mechanical side goes and in my mind solves some of the issues I have. I can't pass final judgement until I see one run first hand but as far as I am concerned I would be happy in one of either color, I don't belive in being married to any color or brand, you pick whats best for your operation. I do not understand all of the internal workings at Agco but realize that they have been focused more on a global scale in recent times and Massey is their biggest line. That being said I heard talk that they are begining to focus more on North America and hopefully that means stronger and more dealers that can sell any Agco machine regardless of color or brand and if that means red "r" machines and grey "A" machines so be it and this would keep most people happy I hope.

Deerebines

Finally, someone that has it figured out. You stick with what works for you and don't worry about what is going on across the fence much. Color doesn't mean as much as the quality and quantitys of each job and the economics behind the purchase. Each machine has strongpoints over the other and each machine is lacking in places moreso than others. None are perfect but I will readily admit, what we have at our disposal today men is a far cry better than what grandad put up with years ago after the horse and I do not care what color you are referring to. Good post gleanermanitoba. I enjoyed that commentary from you.