Combines Just a reminder 1st Rotary Combine Patent

23884life

I've got an old JD book and it states in it that they (meaning Deere) has had a rotor combine testing in the field since the 1940s. It was that they never came up with a rotor combine that they thought was suitable enough until the STS. I was at a dealer combine clinic on the STSs before I even thought about one, and the rep from Deere that was on the STS project said that the best design for shelling corn they had did All of the separation right on the CORN HEAD! Can you imagine. He said it was great, but they never got the beans to work on a platform. Also said they had many better corn combines, but never got them to perform in beans. Now they have an awesome bean combine!

ihc_afc

So instead they introduce the STS, where nearly 50% of the corn is ground up in that silly cylinder-looking F.A.S.T. (feed accellerator stupid thing) contraption. Then it enters the 3-stage rocket looking seeder mechanism, and they market it as the greatest thing since the threshing machine. Come on AFX. The world needs you!!!! Y'all have a good one!

Bundy

SIGH!!!!! There's always one isn't there. While were talking about Rotary's and JD. If hearsay serves me correct, weren't the TR's developed by John DeereIJ I bet JD will be kicking themselves for letting that go, just looking at the new CR's that NewHolland are releasing. "IF" they perform and are as good operate as they appear, then look out STS and lexion and dare I say it AFX.

SilverTurnedGreen

I share your frustration with some of the idiotic responses on this system; - but then again, what else can you expect from people who "don't know" but think they "know". Deere actually did develop a twin-rotor design, but decided to stick a cylinder in front of them, thus the CTS was introduced. Deere's "official" position on rotary combines was that they never felt that there would be a benefit in offering one until they built larger capacity combines, which is why they don't offer a smaller version of the STS. I think New Holland has some real potential with thier new offering, and I'm anxious to demo a CR this fall in corn and beans. From what the few operators who demo'd this machine in wheat and barley said this year, the results were awesome, especially compared to a TR99 or 2388.

Mike

John Deere did not create the twin rotor and I'm not sure that New Holland would have Deere develope the TR sounds odd,but I can tell you that if you can believe what you read that International Harvester Company in house engineers developed and tested the twin rotor concept before scraping it and going to the axial flow design instead.This took place in the 1960's I think.Also this concept ended up in New Holland's hands after engineers from IHC left and ended up at New Holland creating some kind of a copy right infringement deal.John Deere forever paid total disregard towards a rotor cause conventional was better according to them.

easy_e

The fact of the matter with John Deere is that they released their "new" machine without it being perfected in their own eyes. They rushed their new technology and it has turned many hard core John Deere guys against using these new machines. I know some hard core IH guys who had enough of IH after using the 2188, but ended up buying a 2388 after hearing feedback from the John Deere guys on their new mahcines. John Deere had a perfect opportunity to steal hundreds of loyal IH owners but dropped the ball when their machine performed so poorly in wheat and barley crops. Maybe Case IH saw this and that's why they're not rushing to the dealers with their new 8010 and actualy are trying to get it right. I hope this is the case.

SODBUSTER

Well since you guys started coler bashing I will add my input to (ihc-afc"s) comment. In 10 years I have owned axial flows from a 1660 to a 2388. I now own a Deere STS. The feed accellerator does no more damage to the grain than a Case IH rock trap beater with serrated bars which is what is required to make an axial flow feed in tough conditions. Atleast the feed accellerator is easy to change from low speed to high (a belt vs.a chain and reverse of sprokets, of which the chain might last 1 year. As for the 3 stage rocket threshing system it is a rocket compared to an axial (chokeandpuke) flow. The STS has far better grain quality and more capasity, (every axial flow I owned had rotor rumble in tough conditions) standerd or specilty rotor, have never had rotor rumbel with an STS. I can think of several advantages with an STS over axil flows. A wider feeder house, concaves that are not constantly plugged with silks and leaves in corn, a larger fuel tank, larger grain bin, longer unload auger, a feeder reverser that actually WORKS when engauged, a much easyer to change roto belt(which was quite often on a 2388),more smoother responsive hydro control lever, in cab dispay of corn head deck plate spacing, A rotor speed control that will speed the rotor up in seconds under load, (compared to not at all under load),an engine air cleaner that does not require a religiuos cleaning every day, grain loss sensor pads that stay clean, (not totaly covered with trash when harvesting beans and wheat),easier to change chopper belt speed, a taller grain bin loading auger(which is easier on the grain when a bin extension is added,. To many more for me to mention. If the afx is the answer why did case ih pull it out of farm show machines befor sold last yearIJ Case ih spent to many years not improving enough on the same old design. Now that I have owened a STS Case IH will have to make alot of improvements for me to consider one.

SilverTurnedGreen

I couldn't agree with you more! Deere made a huge error in judgement with thier pre-launch of the STS. The sickening part of this whole fiasco was that Deere was so close to perfecting the STS; -one more year would have probably been sufficient. Having been a past New Holland combine owner, I can tell you (assuming you're a CaseIH owner)that you will enjoy nothing but fully-proven and field-tested products from both New Holland and CaseIH. This has always been my experience with New Holland in the past, and I think they'll run the CaseIH side of thier business the same way.

CAlVIN

No one launches a perfect combine and the new New Holland is no way near perfect or fully field proven!!!! There are still bugs to work out. They know this and that is why you can not get one till next year so they have more time to work on the bugs. Every new combine to come along has its first year problems. They can not possibly encounter every possible scenario out there till in production. I agree that New Holland does a lot of testing but they have to deal with a lot of politics within the company and a lot of stuff does not get fixed till production and the customer is complaining then stuff might fixed. They still will not sell many though unless they change their marketing. I am very dissapointed in their marketing so far for having a totaly new combine from the ground up. It seems like they would try to gain market share but they are just trying to hold onto their customers with older New Hollands which is not a very big market share.

Polymoss

Obviously some of you didn't read the post. Deere, Case, International, Gleaner, New Holland, Massey or none of the current companies can claim the rotory. J.H.Adamson (an Australian) Patented the Axial Flow Roter in 1873. (U.S.Patent 140,396) Rotary's are hardly new. ;-) Yes July 1873 - 130 years ago.