Mosquito repelling plants

Almost Eden

Almost Eden

Bean Stalker
Some plants are said to have mosquito repelling properties. How effective are they really? If you've had success with one of those plants, please let me know which one did the trick. Our mosquito population has exploded this year, or at least that's how it feels to me.

RichZ

Chocolate Milk Cow
Here's a link for mosquito repelling plans:

I have had better success at eliminating breeding areas. Removing anything that can hold water for them to breed in. On my old farm, there was a small pond when we bought the farm, and surprisingly there were no fish in it. I bought a batch of feeder goldfish from a pet store and released them into the pond. The goldfish did well and reproduced and they ate the mosquito larvae and our mosquito population was quickly reduced. Plus, I really like goldfish and you could see them from the banks of the pond. One of my dogs loved watching the goldfish, too.

Urban Homestead

Urban Homestead

Bean Stalker
I swear by mint, but I have no idea if science says it works. Get yourself some bats. They are the best at eating up the mosquitos and they naturally don't come out until it's pretty late, so your other livestock should already be up.

RichZ

Chocolate Milk Cow
Urban Homestead is right. Put up as many bat houses as you can.

Locksmith

Locksmith

Farm Hand
They may be right, but I would rather have property free from the moisture that attracts mosquitos in the first place.........than have bats. Forget that.

Rosemary and basil I can do. The lady likes those kinds of garnishes.

Almost Eden

Almost Eden

Bean Stalker
@RichZ, I used to recommend many of those same plants because I genuinely thought they worked. I guess our mosquito population just wasn't that severe before. Have you planted anything during a bad season that actually seemed to do the trick. I really don't want to spray any chemicals. I'm an organic grower. I'll start looking up info about their breeding areas. I didn't think about that until you mentioned it.