Most profitable plants to grow

baloyi

baloyi

Farm Hand
Nothing is as fancy as turning our gardening skills into cash. There is a growing demand for bamboo, with homeowners and landscapers paying $150 each for potted bamboo plants. What do I require to become a successful bamboo farmer?

William Van

William Van

Farm Hand
A desire to do it. I would start with container growing a variety that is in demand. It isn't that labor intensive and sounds fairly easy to learn.

FarmHand

FarmHand

Golden Chicken
Marijuana

I think the official farming term is cannabis. Wonder how many smaller commercial farmers will set up hydrophobic buildings and grow cannabis once it's legalized? I bet there's gonna be a race to the bottom for cheap pot.

Breadtrk

Breadtrk

Farm Hand
I visited many of the higher end restaurants to see what the pro chefs wanted that they could capitalize on as being fresh and local organic grown.This has been profitable enough to afford 2 40 x 100ft hi tech greenhouses so I can provide year round. Garlic, various herbs, exotic tomatoes, tropical fruit......

In the outdoor plot the staples are garlic, heirloom tomatoes, beets, onions, melons, squash.....

Until production facilities are built, Hemp is just a cover crop for now. There will be so many weed crops when that comes legal the competition just won't be worth the effort, much less the security you will need to establish.

Putnam Homestead

I think the official farming term is cannabis. Wonder how many smaller commercial farmers will set up hydrophobic buildings and grow cannabis once it's legalized? I bet there's gonna be a race to the bottom for cheap pot.
A lot of people are doing that in my area and now there is a shortage of alfalfa farms. I would go to Alfalfa if it is like that in your area. Supply and demand.

FarmHand

FarmHand

Golden Chicken
A lot of people are doing that in my area and now there is a shortage of alfalfa farms. I would go to Alfalfa if it is like that in your area. Supply and demand.

I'm not sure but I know the high end pot growers usually use climate controlled warehouses for growing. I know the stuff will grow damn near anywhere from hawaii to the mountains though. Never grew any myself but as legalization moves ahead I bet people can make some decent money on it just because it's selling by the ounce at retail.

kauila

Bamboo is good for a lot of things but once you plant it you're basically never going to get rid of it.
Bamboo that spreads using traveler roots can end up being very difficult to control, as you correctly pointed out. There are also many clumping varieties of bamboo that are much easier to control.

csafarmer

csafarmer

That's how it's shaking out (cannabis joke) in Canada. Lots of big companies put a lot of money into production, without an adequate channel for distribution. As a result, there is currently a glut on the market.This is made worse by the perception among consumers of the product that the LPs produce crappy pot. Long-time smokers are VERY knowledgeable about cannabis strains and what constitutes a good smoke.

My farm is pursuing a micro-cultivation license (canopy area allowed 200 square meters,about 2100 square feet). Our niche will be sun-grown, soil-grown organic cannabis. I think that niche can build a brand and maintain margins over the long-term.