Combines My C62 has the shakes

wheat_whacker

where are you located that you would still be picking cornIJIJIJIJ

SilverTurnedGreen

I'm located in Southwestern Ontario Canada! I know, I realize that it is late for harvesting corn, but my neighbour hates paying excessive drying costs so, at the risk of a heavy winter, he decided to leave about 86 acres of his slowest drying hybrid in the field. His procrastination paid off well; - very little weather-inducd loss and the corn's coming off in the high teens and low 20's for moisture content.

wheat_whacker

I am surprised it is still standing.... when do you all plant corn up thereIJIJ_ is it pretty short season IJIJIJ 90 day or soIJIJIJ_ We are going to start planting corn in about 20 days ,we like to be finished planting corn around the 6th of March. Then we'll plant Milo in the last week in March. We farm about 60 miles north of Dallas.

SilverTurnedGreen

We farm within the 9600 heat units region, so planting commences around late April. Typical yields here range from 135 to 160 bushels per acre, depending on the variety and weather. This particular hybrid was destined for ensilage more than shelled corn, so it had a very healthy, tall stalk and (luckily) a short shank so I didn't have to hug the ground by any means. Our season here is somewhat short compared to what you are accustomed to. It is VERY uncommon for anyone to leave a crop of corn out in the field over winter. So what are the typical yields within your regionIJ When is your typical harvest season for cornIJ How late in the year do you harvestIJ

Wheat_Whacker

When you say 135 to 160 is that dryland or irrigatedIJ

Dan

Is this noise or vibration only when header is engagedIJ Does it change with engine, cylinder, or header RPMIJ Check to see that either feeder shaft isn't wrapped up or that feed chain hasn't jumped a cog.

SilverTurnedGreen

Yes! It seems to be most noticable when the header is raised more than half up, and the vibration diminishes when RPM's are lowest! It also seems to worsen when their is no crop being put through the machine.

SilverTurnedGreen

No irrigation here, my friend! :) We are surrounded by water here; - Georgian Bay to the North, lake Huron to the West, and lake Ontario to our south, so we seem to NEVER endure extreme drought or rainfall. The winters have been open for the past few years, so the occasional farmer will "chance-it" by leaving some corn out over the winter to let it "natural dry"! I couldn't sleep at night, knowing I had crop out there. I really like the C62. We also have a Deere 9610, but the Gleaner seems to have no problem keeping up to it, and at about $40,000 Canadian less, I am VERY impressed with the Gleaner. Although I had poor luck with my previous N6, I think I will try a Gleaner R62 in 2 years when it's time to deal the Deere off.

Dan

I'm going to lean toward rear feed chain has jumped a cog. That can happen in corn when a cob gets between chain and sprocket. There is a rear feed chain stripper for the rotarys to prevent that but looking in the parts fiche and school material I can not tell if there is one for the conventional. I don't have any conventionals around here so I can't tell you where to look but you need to get a look at the feed sprockets to see if chain is sitting down in it properly. If it has jumped than take a look to see if there is any kind of stripper mounted in front of sprockets to keep cobs away. let me know what you find. Dan