Combines New ROTARY or

T__langan

What ISN'T outdated these days by the first oil changeIJ Improvements are made every year to the new models which makes your brand new machine, no matter what color it is, obsolete. We own Allis, Deutz-Allis, and AGCO. We can get parts for anything we own in 24 hrs if the dealer don't have them in stock and it's an emergency. I highly doubt Deere is any better or worse than that so what's the problemIJ Tom

silverturnedgreen

It's not so much a matter of parts availability (although I've had my problems with AGCO in that department) - the problem I have is depreciation! It consistantly costs me less to deal deere-to-deere as opposed to AGCO-to-AGCO! My N6 depreciated drastically in 2 years (yes Tom, after 2 years with an N6 I was ready to deal)! It leaves a sick feeling inside when your local Deere and CaseIH dealers offer little more than "insult offers" on a 2 year old immaculate Gleaner with 420 hours! I never had these problems when I ran Allis Chalmers Gleaners, say, M and l series; - their seemed to be a better demand back then for these machines. In fact, I'm in the midst of "inking" a deal for a C62, part of the reason being that my local Gleaner dealer will offer me more for my N6 than any other dealer (although the C62 is an impressive machine). Say what you will, AGCO is for most part a marketing company producing "Component" products; - Deere is one of few companies actually producing their own engines, powertrain, and (in most cases) transmissions.

clipper

I stand corrected. I guess that Gleaner invented the auger, sickle,reel,concave,cylinder, walkers,sieves,chaffers,sheet metal, hardware, angle iron, elevators , and straw spreader. I may have not had my facts straight on the corn head but you still won't admit that when other's copy Deere it's ok. What is even funnier is that I run a Gleaner. They're fine machines but they are not number one in sales like you know who.

clipper

Deere began developing the 10 series in 1952. When that line of tractors came out they were years ahead of everyone else. I would like anyone who would dispute that to show one thing that Deere copied other than a multicylinder engine. That line of tractors was the first to offer wet brakes and planetary final drives, a closed center hydraulic system, and a partially syncronized transmission These tractors handled like no other machine on the market. That's not to say that they are a little overated. They could have used a more active governor, 12volt system, and the load sensing draft left much to be desired, but show me any make of tractor that has held it's value better than a 4010 or 4020

clipper

T. langan, did you ever run a Massey 26 or 27 built in the 50'sIJ If you did you remember that they used an electric toggle switch to control the head height. Was this where Gleaner got it's electric over hydraulic ideaIJ I know, I know, it was not electric over hydraulic it was a starter with two sets of fields that would allow the starter to run both directions that turned a sprocked that worked a rockshaft that raised the head, so there could be no connection. It seems I read that Gleaner was in a joint venture with Ben Franklin and held sole rights to all uses of electricity.

Farmbuddy

Seems like JD has tried to match the good benefits of a CaseIH when they put their plans together in 1992 for the STS. Hence they promote better rock protection and less plugging and roping. It is disappointing that JD hasn't made enough additional improvements.

jakee

i think the old 660 had the gears in the wheel,s, and the n-8 ford and the farmall m bring good money

lexi

just tried the cat combine yesterday. we have a cts and going from cat back to jd was like stepping back in time. there is no comparison for the jd against the cat as the cat could easily do double of what the cts could do. now dont get me wrong the cts is still a good combine but the lexion is undoubtedly the best combine in the world.

jakee

yes i ran a 26 massy from texas to n.dakota and a 123harvester both great machines the deere was to tall to put on truck,s, havnt ran a combine in 30 years am going in the morning to run a old 760 massy