Combines Red and the 4400IJ

Tom_S

Same here Red. The suspense is getting to us. I can't wait to start reading about tearing it down and fixing her up. I know a bunch about rebuilding the cutter bar and fabricating spokes and parts for a reel. But I want to see some pics of overhauling the cylinder the concaves the seperator and everything else. I am going to do this very same thing in the near future, but the machine might be orange. I am uncertain. Tom S.

The_Red

I didn't think anybody was really interested so I haven't posted. But since you asked---- Dannyboy where do you live atIJ I went to NCHS and graduated in 1970. Grew up on Dean Road. My folks are now moving to the new retirement community at the old Sycamore Springs Golf Course on Dean Road. OK back to the 4400 combine. Deere dealer installed the new windshield yesterday. The next time it is over 40 degrees, I will drag a battery out and at least try to fire up the engine. This 4400 has the old vented cover so rainwater does get on the engine. Nothing to report since I ran it last Thursday. I don't want to take off the broken hydraulic line until I have a 3 or 4 day nice weather and not too cold window. Weather Channel is forecasting some really cold weather in the future.

The_Red

Tom, I will not get into the separator stuff until next spring, whether the combine is in my Indy driveway (neighbors will lOVE that!) or at the farm. At that point I might pull the feederhouse off to give me more room. It doesn't look that difficult after reading the operators manual. I bet the cylinder bars are probably not that worn. Neighbor Ernie got almost 3,000 hours before he replaced the cylinder bars on his 4400. You don't push much through on an 11 foot grain table. Good luck on your future combine regardless of make. Hope you can find parts. 4400s were so dominant in Indiana that parts are easy to find.

Tom_S

I guess I can wait till next spring, but the way things are going here, I am never certain where I could be. But anyway, a detailed description of your adventure would make a great book for me to read. Not many people enjoy rebuilding ag equipment, so it won't ever make the best seller list. Merry Christmas! Tom S.

The_Red

Tom, rumor has it there will be an article on this adventure featured in Kim's January edition at ytmag.com. 4 or 5 digital pictures will also be in this rumored article.

Dannyboy

Red, I would guess more people enjoy reading your posts about the 4400 than you think. I grew up with Gleaners. So other than the 292 Chevy that was in Dad's old "F", I don't know much about your 4400. But any combine is cool by me. (side note) He loved the "F" but cussed the 292. The Gleaner was the only thing that wasn't a Ford on the Farm. So you can guess why he cussed it. :). Anyway I've enjoyed reading your post ever since I read your post about the old Gleaner you found. And the Harvest story over on the MyTag as well. BTW, I live between 106th and 96th street. About a mile west of the Gravel_limestone pits on 96th street, in a Subdivision called Williamson Run. I've only live hear since April. I'm a farmboy transplant from Boone County. I still own an old Farm House on Dad's farm. I tease my wife that we need to rotate planting Corn and Beans in the Front and Back yard. Of corse the yard can bearly grow grass much less anything else. :) Keep posting the progress. But with the weather now I know it wouldn't be much.....

The_Red

East side of Meridian I assumeIJ I don't drive that corridor very often. Good luck on the old farmhouse. Mine is not that old. 1864 on the main structure and 1903 on the modern kitchen. If we get one of those January warm spells, I'll move the combine to my house at least.

beet

RED been absent for a few days ,but i see you had some progress on the little lady.i would like to find YTMAG.COM . web site . if you could lead me to it i would much apprecate it . as we canadians say thanks and keep your stick on the ice.

The_Red

Just punch below. A great site with lots of antique tractor forums. You can spend a good eveing looking around. The largest Classified section second to none. I use the same handle on the Farmall and Tales board.

Dannyboy

Well I'm actully about a Mile East of Keystone. Our you down on SoutheasternIJ Or did you say early the the 4400 is out near the Airport. I know you said it only a few miles from your Indy house. I've pretty much got my old Farm House done. It was built in 1860's as well. I replaced all the old windows, Put in a new Kitchen, Replaced the old Oil burner furnance with a new 90% lP and Central Air Unit. Put Vinyl Siding on her. I've got to put a new roof on her next year. I done everything but the furance myself. But, I'm not sure if I want to tackle the roof. It's got a 12_12 pitch.