Tier 4 crap

MC

MC

Administrator
Staff member
I'm all for the tier 4 final REGULATIONS that reduce the emissions down to next to nothing. But I am opposed to the manufacturers locking customers into proprietary software or systems that can't be maintained without a dealer or service contract. It's just like with cars. They've gotten incredibly advanced but at the end of the day I'd rather shift my own gears and own a car that can be fixed easily by any mechanic worth his weight in salt. So you're seeing older equipment values stay up and in fact some of the most recent tier 3 machines are very sought after now.

Fastshivy

Love common rail, but These dpf systems are horrible, there has to be a better design coming. Farm equipment should be exempt from these goofy epa rules

JoeyJ

You are so right, it's pure junk and forcing the price of older tractors up in value. Because the diesel fuel is now formulated for this crap I add engine motor oil to every fuel fill up on my older stuff and it works wonders for it. My engines have more power, run cooler, and even sound as they did when new. I do not add oil to any common rail or engines that regenerate. No controversy here, it's good to know there is still intelligence out there.
I like this idea. What is the ratio you use motor oil to gallon of fuel?

ms&r

Farm Hand
I have two 1990 12 valves one ton dodges and I have put a full quart on a fill up and I cut them back to one half quart just to cut the expense and the black smoke in a hard take off, huge black cloud under load. I have a F 650 with the 24 valve 2000 model and I use a full quart at fill up but has saddle tanks. I did this to start with due to injection pump failure with the new fuel. I also found that it gave me more power and cooler running engine while killing the algae problem in the fuel. I had a customer with a compact 80 s model Kubota that when the engine started the exhaust was coming out the air filter and pulling air in the muffler, so the engine was running backwards, I put motor oil in the fuel and fixed the problem. Train engines us waste oil for fuel, they never change the oil, all of it burns in the fuel.

Highlandcross

I have an old Deutz and love it. It's simple and although parts are pricey at times, there's nothing that I can't fix on it. The dealer I bought it from sells brand new LS tractors and I have heard that if they set for over a month that there will be a light or some kind of glitch happen due to all of the computerized BS that is now on the tractors. Old isn't for everyone, but it makes sense if you have a small operation.