Combines anybody scared of the duetz

Irv

If that location doesn't work for you, I have one in SW Minnesota....

Mike

Had one and would never go back. If you like blowing bean dirt out of a engine everyday and worrying if it will catch fire, its your motor. The M11 in a 72 and the Quantum are better motors. let the old Duetz go down and open your wallet big time. local dealer in SW Il says the Duetz motor combines are worth 10K less than those with Cummins. The Duetz is a very good motor, fuel efficient with great torque and horsepower, but air cooled engines are best used in cleaner environments like irrigation pumps. Tractors aren't too bad, but wheat and bean dirt are killers to that motor unless you plan to babysit it each day.

Tom_Russell

What caused dust particles to plug the cooling fins on your DeutzIJ Did you have oil or fuel leaking on themIJ There must be a reason for some to have problems while others dont.

Mike

You don't need an oil leak toplug the fins. If you don't blow them out every day in beans they will plug on their own. We never had a fire but it is a major pain to drag an air compressor to very farm you farm just to clean the fins out. like I said the Duetz is a good motor in terms of fuel efficiency, torque and horsepower. I just don't need all the other little things that go with it when there is a better engine out there. The newer Quantums are as good and the M11 is better than the Duetz. local dealer still has my old 62 with the Duetz that we traded 4 years ago. The same model 62's with the Cummins move in and out of his lot with much more frequency. A combine is not the application for an air cooled motor.

Tom_Russell

I have a Deutz but I dont have to clean mine every day. In fact, some years I dont do any cleaning. But I do look under the plenum covers to make sure an oil or fuel line hasnt come loose because leaks cause dust to stick on cooling fins. Perhaps you have noticed the same thing will occur on water-cooled enginesdirt sticks to oil or fuel that accumulates on various engine parts, but it doesnt stick to clean parts. This is the reason I asked the question, why do some have trouble and others dont. You and I have to be doing something different for you to have trouble while I dont. Did you open the side shields when cleaning, so debris will fall out or did you just rearrange it inside the cooling plenumIJ Did you raise the oil cooler occasionally to make sure dust wasnt lodged in the fins you cant otherwise seeIJ Is there a possibility your combine had loose or missing shields or seals around the cooling fan intakeIJ I would be interested in your old R62 unless it has been stored outside for 4 years.

NDDan

Engine deal got beat to death a month or so ago. Sounds like a very sweet machine to me and I would not let the Deutz scar me in the least. I believe the '90 machines have a raised hydralic tank and perforated floor hear and there to aid in keeping engine compartment clean. If you get the machine and have some sort of trouble keeping inside or outside of engine clean then let us know for I'm sure you can help out any of them situations. Good luck

John

Tom, Could it be the difference in soybeansIJ Here in my neighborhood of Central Iowa, we have the exact problems that Mike speaks of. Deutz don't go over well at all here, kind of a dead horse in combines. Tractor engines are different but Colfax Tractor Salvage has a couple DA tractors that are toasted from engine fires too! My area Gleaner dealer have one heck of a time moving a Deutz powered Gleaner because a majority of the previous owners have spoken loud and clear of the plugging and maintenance problems of the engine. I have yet to see one of the previous Deutz owners wish to return to an air cooled after running a Cummins powered Gleaner. I have relatives that live the Wichita area quit Gleaners after a Deutz powered R60. Only came back to Gleaner because of the engine change to a water cooled engine. I own an N6 and have never had a problem with water cooling and watched several neighbors struggle thru the air cooled engines with maintenance problems related to soybean harvesting. Could it be that your northern varieties of soybeans aren't as dusty and fuzzy as the ones raised in central Iowa and southIJ This seems to be the complaint areas of the Deutz powered Gleaners.

NDDan

Found the old thread a month or so ago labeled R series VS l2. I would like number for salvage yard with the Deutz also if you got it handy. last machines with Deutz are getting to be eight or nine years old so may be looking for used parts when needed. I think some of the bad name for Deutz comes from the first machines. Exhaust manifolds were not sheilded and material built up on the floor. Most machines were to be campaigned to fix this but many did not do. like with any new placement of an engine there are unforseen problems. I believe KHD did not finish refining placement of Deutz into Gleaner and AGCO didn't either. They were close. like alot of things sometimes we and or you have to finish the job. I strongly believe the guys with soybean dust problems can fine tune rotary screen area to make it do a better job. We had to do that with the radiator jobs for a few years when they made a come back or else radiators plugged steady. If the Deutz with V8s don't have exhaust shielding that is sealed up well they need to get it. It would be fun get one of those machines that plug up daily and perform a little magic on air cooling intake system to see if it is posible to keep the fuzz out. Thanks in advance if you can get me phone number.

mike

We ran the gammet on cleaning it out. We started with just air tanks then portable air compressor to make sure we had enough air. I don't think we were missing shields and the ones we had were always opened or removed when blown out. Our old machine has been on the lot 3+ years. They are dying to move it. If you are interested I can give you the dealer name.

Tom_Russell

John, I really dont know if our varieties are different. I do know that I have to change the cab filter quite often because of bean dust and if I dont vacuum the cab plenum often enough, the bean fuzz looks like snow drifts in front of the filter. As I asked Mike, do guys who have trouble do a thorough job of cleaningIJ When I do it every couple of years I remove the oil cooler and air cleaner assembly so the entire top of the cooling plenum is accessible. Next, I open the side plenums behind the exhaust manifolds. Then the cooling plenum is ready for cleaning. In my opinion, trying to clean without completely opening the air plenum would be a waste of time and could be the reason some guys have problems. I know many guys arent as fussy about cleaning as I am because when I look at engines on dealer sales yards, the dirt is packed between cooling fins. I might have some fins plugged after 2 seasons, but the lions share of them are open. I wish the cab filter would stay as clean as the engine cooling fins.