Neighbor kid allergic to strawberries

OhSusanna

OhSusanna

Golden Chicken
I've been lurking on this thread, and I'm glad you guys were able to work things out. I admire you for compromising. I think my initial reaction was outrage that a neighbor would ask such a thing, but it slowly simmered because some children do lack impulse control.

jjp8182

Farm Hand
Definitely an interesting thread. Have to say I think I'd probably have laughed at the parents if it had happened here - not out of malice or ill will, but at the impracticality/lunacy of the request given wild strawberries are something I frequently have to deal with in my yard. They tend to be more than a bit of a nuisance since they aren't really usable for anything as the berries are too small - usually pea(-ish)-sized. Though they do seem to attract birds (which eat them and then spread the seeds even further). :rolleyes:

As many different types of food-related (and other interesting) allergies as I've heard about over the years I'm really starting to wonder what sort of underlying cause(s) there are to these allergies. Allergies to strawberries, mushrooms, even light and temperature extremes - it really makes me wonder if people aren't living in too sanitary of an environment and it causes immune system to start overreacting to things (that should be) non-hazardous in everyday usage/life. Almost makes me wonder if in few hundred/thousand(?) years there will be humans who are allergic to being alive...... :cautious:

Last edited:
Smarty Plants

Smarty Plants

Farm Hand
@jjp8182, could you imagine having the guts to ask your neighbor to redo their landscaping because JJP Jr. has an allergy? How entitled! I would die of embarrassment.

jjp8182

Farm Hand
@jjp8182, could you imagine having the guts to ask your neighbor to redo their landscaping because JJP Jr. has an allergy? How entitled! I would die of embarrassment.

Would seem like a good opportunity to teach everyone a simple civics lesson about property boundaries and trespassing - along with petty theft (even if not sold the strawberries still have value) and perhaps the value of fences (electrified or otherwise).

On the other hand I suppose it's not too much of a surprise that parents would make that request given I've also heard of schools (emphasis on the plural) that have prohibited all peanut products due to student allergies (complete with threats of disciplinary action against any who bring such item onto the premises). So if getting punished for bringing a peanut butter sandwich to school is getting normalized it'd seem like this strawberry request would be the next step in the progression.

Hopefully this will just be a one time thing and not become a pattern of behavior the OP will see from the new neighbors.... granted it still blows my mind that an 8 year old wouldn't have been taught to stay on the family property since that's something (most people) even try to teach their dogs..... ..... granted it's more likely to expect the dog to be let out to run around on their own than most children would be in this day and age :rolleyes: